AB Light-Off

Tiger-II

Hi,

Is it correct that the AB will not light off at high AoA and relatively low speed? I forget the figure but I think AoA needs to be < 23 degrees for the AB to light.

Why was this change made? I can't believe it is accurate. There are many situations in BFM where you want to engage AB during high alpha maneuvering. It makes the difference between staying in the fight and stalling out.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

1 hour ago, LJQCN101 said:

As per RD93 technical manual, there's an operational limit of 300 km/h IAS for the AB ignition. In DCS, it's directly related to the inlet pressure.

Ahh! Thank you! I forgot I had asked previously.

I see...that makes more sense than AoA. Is there a reason AoA factors into it, or is it inlet pressure again (i.e. does AoA feed into the AB controller at all)? I need to do some more investigation of this regime.

Edited by Tiger-II

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

10 hours ago, Tiger-II said:

Ahh! Thank you! I forgot I had asked previously.

I see...that makes more sense than AoA. Is there a reason AoA factors into it, or is it inlet pressure again (i.e. does AoA feed into the AB controller at all)? I need to do some more investigation of this regime.

Perhaps you are just ending up in low speed from a high alpha turn right? 300 kmh is 162 knots on the deck, cornering speed on the deck is around 350-420 knots, might want to stay a bit faster 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 2:19 PM, AeriaGloria said:

Perhaps you are just ending up in low speed from a high alpha turn right? 300 kmh is 162 knots on the deck, cornering speed on the deck is around 350-420 knots, might want to stay a bit faster 

I'm not just getting slow...it's intentional. 100% yes, I'm flying against the AoA limiter.

I'm aware of cornering speed, but that's idealistic in combat. Super-slow maneuvering happens, but it's a problem in Jeff when the F-16 can light its burner and Jeff can't without unloading.

On 3/15/2022 at 1:26 AM, Napillo said:

They're vastly different engines. The F-16 is getting another buff, so don't expect to keep up with the F-16 at all.

I know they are...I'm just surprised it has such a limitation for a new design. It's the kind of thing you'd see if you deliberately wanted to reduce performance.

Early export versions of the F-16 were intended to have engines that overheated if in AB too long (by design), but they soon dropped the idea as too complex for production.

Edited by Tiger-II

13 hours ago, Tiger-II said:

such a limitation for a new design

So, this is based on an old soviet engine, yea there's been some modernization done such as the DEC - it's still not a full FADEC, but still, best they could do with that engine. 

Really the option is to stay closer to corner speed. If you need afterburner bring jade you bled your speed to 162 knots you already lost becuase you got so slow in the first place even if you could light your afterburner. 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg