Enhanced F10 Map icons with sustained BRAA info on targets - mod?

ron533

Hi Modders!
I love the F10 icons mod that adds functionality like the rotational NATO icons mod:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3311426/
and also the bigger Russian icons mod which are already pointing to the direction of flight:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3314507/

I would very much love to have  a "speed indicator" as a vector line if possible, i.e. Longer line = Faster speed,
say, in increments of 100 Knots, in the direction of flight.
Maybe also color difference to indicate altitudes, LO-MED-HI...
I know I know...but while I'm dreaming, why not?? 🙂 

This way you could see direction AND speed indication of F10 Icons (aerial target only).

[I'm familiar with LOT ATC, but don't want an external program].

Can be done?
Any takers?? 🙂
Cheers,
Ron

Plot_Track_Label_02.png

Edited by ron533
Title changed

Callsign   SETUP

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ron533 changed the title to Enhanced F10 Map icons with sustained BRAA info on targets - mod?
18 hours ago, Chump said:

@ron533 Here is something that I quickly made to see if this was possible: https://github.com/chump29/DCS_Mod/blob/master/GCI.lua

• This uses MiST
  • You need to adjust the map zoom to see the dotted line draw
  • It updates every 10 seconds, mainly for testing
  • This is a proof-of-concept more than a released script
  • It should work with all blue plane/helo groups

Very nice!! 
looks like a promising start 🙂

I've seen more scripts there...any documentation on what they do?

Cheers!!

image.png

Edited by ron533

Callsign   SETUP

@ron533 I did some refactoring to get it more how you imagined it. I think DCS is limited right now regarding drawing in near-real-time. The velocity vector game me some pain, so I decided to hold off until DCS drawing tools become more fine-tuned. I also added some descriptions to a few of my scripts, although they were written for my missions. I tried to keep some more generic if you find them useful. Let me know if you see anything worth using. Take a look @ https://github.com/chump29/DCS_Mod

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chump said:

@ron533 I did some refactoring to get it more how you imagined it. I think DCS is limited right now regarding drawing in near-real-time. The velocity vector game me some pain, so I decided to hold off until DCS drawing tools become more fine-tuned. I also added some descriptions to a few of my scripts, although they were written for my missions. I tried to keep some more generic if you find them useful. Let me know if you see anything worth using. Take a look @ https://github.com/chump29/DCS_Mod

Thanks!! 
I will test it as soon as possible.
The vector is already implemented by default if you use Russian icons, it's directional , not speed related but good enough for now, until it's easier to implement.
The problem is showing ,multiple targets with their info - simultaneously. 
Also in your script, can you control track history? in time there will be too many dots from too many aircrafts drawn on the map... 🙂

Cheers!
Ron

Edited by ron533

Callsign   SETUP

6 hours ago, Chump said:

I have the speed line in there, just not the vector pointer. I didn't know where to cut the track history off. If you have an idea, I'd be happy to implement it.

This looks much better!! 🙂

* I was thinking 10 seconds of track history maybe enough? configurable in the script. 
* Can the track dots display color by altitude? instead of non informational black, so we can lose the altitude/vector line, and just use the Russian directional icons for direction?
* What about the individual aircrafts in a group?
    In the screenshot only the leader shows the info, while the rest of the formation is ignored.

*The direction/heading is wrong in the screenshot, the F-15 are heading East while the heading shows 1 degree,
the F-4 is heading South, while it shows 3 degrees.

* Can the info box be moved not to overlap the Aircraft's name? configurable fonts color?

Thank you very much for your efforts!!
Cheers,
Ron

image.jpeg

Callsign   SETUP

On 7/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, ron533 said:

* I was thinking 10 seconds of track history maybe enough? configurable in the script. 
* Can the track dots display color by altitude? instead of non informational black, so we can lose the altitude/vector line, and just use the Russian directional icons for direction?
* What about the individual aircrafts in a group?
    In the screenshot only the leader shows the info, while the rest of the formation is ignored.

*The direction/heading is wrong in the screenshot, the F-15 are heading East while the heading shows 1 degree,
the F-4 is heading South, while it shows 3 degrees.

* Can the info box be moved not to overlap the Aircraft's name? configurable fonts color?

• Track history updated
    • Updates every 10 seconds
    • Shows 30 seconds of history
    • Color-coded to altitude of unit
      • < 1000ft: Green
      • < 2500ft: Yellow
      • >= 2500ft: Red
  • Information box updated
    • Fixed heading
    • Moved further up
    • Only shows for entire group, not per unit
    • Updates every 1/4 second
  • Removed goofy vector line

See what you think now @ https://github.com/chump29/DCS_Mod/blob/master/GCI.lua

Edited by Chump

On 7/14/2022 at 9:31 PM, Chump said:
  • Track history updated
    • Updates every 10 seconds
    • Shows 30 seconds of history
    • Color-coded to altitude of unit
      • < 1000ft: Green
      • < 2500ft: Yellow
      • >= 2500ft: Red
  • Information box updated
    • Fixed heading
    • Moved further up
    • Only shows for entire group, not per unit
    • Updates every 1/4 second
  • Removed goofy vector line

See what you think now @ https://github.com/chump29/DCS_Mod/blob/master/GCI.lua

This is great Chump!!
It's real help as GCI!!
I was testing it with some planes and every too often the track was gone, as seen on the screenshot, I had to jiggle with the view to make it re-appear.
Can you take a look please?
Also - in which line can I change the fonts color and size?

I appreciate it very much Chump!! 🙂

image.png

Edited by ron533
  • Like 1

Callsign   SETUP

There is nothing I can do about how the F10 map renders. I have found that turning on Show All Routes at the top helps it draw in real-time.

The info font/color can be changed on lines 114-116:

{0, 0, 1, 1}, -- font color in RGBA
{0, 0, 0, 0.1}, -- background color in RGBA
10, -- font size

EDIT: I added this to the config section so you wouldn't have to dig through the script.

Edited by Chump
  • Like 1