Converted Touchscreen Monitor and Helios (for Apache)

Hi.

Thanks so much @osram for the idea.
I have 2 x Trustmaster MFDs and I am using them for almost all aircrafts, and Helios app didn't take my attention until the Apache and this idea.

You know, the Apache has 6-button MPDs and Trustmaster MFDs are kinda useless if you don't find a solution-ish things. So, instead buying an expensive touchscreen monitor, I've bought a china-made "touch screen" (not a monitor) from a local store (I guess you can find it in Aliexpress etc.).

I attached it on my 18.5 standard monitor with double sided adhesive tape. I did struggle a little bit to make it work on my "second" screen, and DONE!
Now, I can use the Helios for Ka-50 too. 😄

Thanks so much for the Helios profiles to Oze and Capt Zeen. 🥰 I've edited a little bit.

NOTE: It's not a glass. Just a plastic layer (mika? mica?). And, yes it looks like there's too much reflective but IRL you don't see the reflection. Eyes focus properly.

touchscreen1.jpg

touchscreen2.jpg

touchscreen3.jpg

ka50.jpg

Edited by Devrim
Title.
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Aw thatt's very kind of you, m8. Just nice to see what kind of ideas or developments grow from this.
That's rather awesome to see and that it works. Congrats! 🙂

If you can specify actual "marketing"name(s) or "model/brand" of that touch-foil upgrade for people to find more easily.
Not necessarily any specific store-links, but for people to have an easier time to find, or maybe even find alternatives.

Pretty awesome if it works well and quite cheap so people can try and upgrade any old/unused monitors with touch capability.
And try DCS Helios with touch-cockpits on a budget 😛

Touch works good enough so far? Turning radial knobs, pushing buttons or dragging/toggling switches works well?
I presume the touch-foil's have the "usual" USB-C input to connect for touch functionality?
With extra third-party software/drivers or just vanilla Windows "plug&play"?

Hi. Thank you Osram.

Its name looks like Green Touch, but that may not a common brand. This is the link of the local store's. With a short search on Aliexpress, people can find similar products I believe.

5 hours ago, osram said:

Touch works good enough so far? Turning radial knobs, pushing buttons or dragging/toggling switches works well?
I presume the touch-foil's have the "usual" USB-C input to connect for touch functionality?
With extra third-party software/drivers or just vanilla Windows "plug&play"?

Actually, (honestly I've just learnt "touch-foil" things with this products) there're a few type of touch-foils. IR type: I guess there're IR sensors in the frame and they send the coordinates to PC via USB. Resistive type: They are used for industrial purposes and respond to hard contact (like ATM machines I guess), and Capacitive type: They are mostly used in multi applications screens, industrial areas and administrative data screens. So, I preferred IR type. No need any touch pressure. If you move enough slow, it senses your finger before the contact. After a few adjustment on Windows and Helios, it works perfectly.

Button, knobs and toggling switches, all works great. I need to develop muscle memory for rotary knobs tho. 🙂

The product I have hasn't got USB-C type. The cable directly connects the frame and other tip is standard PC USB type.

Yes, it's actually "plug & play". I didn't install any driver but I downloaded a little software with the website's redirect. There're some calibration buttons and other nice options but I didn't even calibrate it. I tried something on Windows side to make it work properly. Example; At first run, I needed to double click to trigger a button on the second monitor or sometimes my touch triggered my main monitor. I did some mess with Touchpen or touchscreen settings of Windows and finally found how to do it. Now, it works completely how it should be. I can tell the details later if anyone needs 🙂

Edited by Devrim
  • Thanks 2

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

Yep! The same product. 👍

• Like 1

• Devrim changed the title to Converted Touchscreen Monitor and Helios (for Apache)

PQ Labs makes ir frames. I have a G5s. It's 4k resolution and multitouch(you choose if you want anywhere from 2 to 30 simultaneous touch points). I think the smallest is 27". I use a 42" in my recording studio. I had to have a 1/8" thick tempered glass made that fits inside the frame. Frame fits over any monitor/TV.

I sourced my ir frame directly from China and it was a lot cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |