Rocket burst length incorrect behaviour when using 4 rocket pods

NumberTwo

First of all thanks to ED for their work in the Mi-24, which is probably mt favorite module in DCS.

I was testing some weapon loadouts when I noticed some strange behavior with some rocket configurations.

When using 2 rocket pods everything works as expected, in short burst length 4 rockets are fired from each pod, 8 in medium and 16 in long, but with 4 rocket pods weird things happen.

For the test I used TacView as it counts exactly how many rockets are fired in each salvo. I spawned a Mi-24 player in air and when in cockpit, I set the sight to AUTO and SYNC and the ranging mode to AUTO, then selected the burst length and then pressed the arm launchers button until the lights turn on.

When using 2 rocket pods the behavior seems correct (I am showing the bahavior with S-5 rockets, but the same happens when using S-8KOMs):

2xS-5.jpg

But when using 4 rocket pods this happens:

4xS-5.jpg

In short burst length the helicopter fires 8 burst of 14 rockets (should be 16) and then fires the 16 remaining rockets in pairs. In medium it fires 4 bursts of 26 rockets (should be 32) and then starts firing in pairs or 4 rockets bursts. In long burst it fires 2 burst of 54 rockets (should be 64) and then starts firing in burst from 2 to 6 rockets).

Similar things happen when using 4 S-8KOM pods. I don’t know how it behaves in real life but I’m pretty sure this is not the intended behavior. I’ve attached the TacView files for the S-5 tests.

Thanks for reading and thanks to ED for their amazing work!

4xS-5Long.acmi 4xS-5Med.acmi 4xS-5Short.acmi 2xS-5Long.acmi 2xS-5Med.acmi 2xS-5Short.acmi

12 hours ago, NumberTwo said:

First of all thanks to ED for their work in the Mi-24, which is probably mt favorite module in DCS.

I was testing some weapon loadouts when I noticed some strange behavior with some rocket configurations.

When using 2 rocket pods everything works as expected, in short burst length 4 rockets are fired from each pod, 8 in medium and 16 in long, but with 4 rocket pods weird things happen.

For the test I used TacView as it counts exactly how many rockets are fired in each salvo. I spawned a Mi-24 player in air and when in cockpit, I set the sight to AUTO and SYNC and the ranging mode to AUTO, then selected the burst length and then pressed the arm launchers button until the lights turn on.

When using 2 rocket pods the behavior seems correct (I am showing the bahavior with S-5 rockets, but the same happens when using S-8KOMs):

2xS-5.jpg

But when using 4 rocket pods this happens:

4xS-5.jpg

In short burst length the helicopter fires 8 burst of 14 rockets (should be 16) and then fires the 16 remaining rockets in pairs. In medium it fires 4 bursts of 26 rockets (should be 32) and then starts firing in pairs or 4 rockets bursts. In long burst it fires 2 burst of 54 rockets (should be 64) and then starts firing in burst from 2 to 6 rockets).

Similar things happen when using 4 S-8KOM pods. I don’t know how it behaves in real life but I’m pretty sure this is not the intended behavior. I’ve attached the TacView files for the S-5 tests.

Thanks for reading and thanks to ED for their amazing work!

4xS-5Long.acmi 81.4 kB · 0 downloads 4xS-5Med.acmi 108.81 kB · 0 downloads 4xS-5Short.acmi 119.27 kB · 0 downloads 2xS-5Long.acmi 62.83 kB · 0 downloads 2xS-5Med.acmi 59.23 kB · 0 downloads 2xS-5Short.acmi 79.66 kB · 0 downloads

This is what their Russian quick start guide translated to english says, and has not been consistent with the module, however I have not used S-8 in a few months so I cannot say for certain. This lines up with what I have read in Mi-24V manuals. It seemed to me when I used S-8, that number of rockets fired in salvos is identical for UB-32 S-5 pods and B8V20A S-8 pods 

370EE634-78F9-4D72-8914-91FF842E008A.jpeg

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

5 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

This is what their Russian quick start guide translated to english says, and has not been consistent with the module, however I have not used S-8 in a few months so I cannot say for certain. This lines up with what I have read in Mi-24V manuals. It seemed to me when I used S-8, that number of rockets fired in salvos is identical for UB-32 S-5 pods and B8V20A S-8 pods 

370EE634-78F9-4D72-8914-91FF842E008A.jpeg

I thougth that was normal, I can confirm S-8 rockets (when using 2 pods) fire 4, 8 and 16 rockets respectively per pod, which means in long burst mode you fire one 16 rocket burst and then just 4, as there are no more rockets. So that's wrong too.

I haven't tested S-13s or S-24, but implementation is currently under development, so not as important I guess.

25 minutes ago, NumberTwo said:

I thougth that was normal, I can confirm S-8 rockets (when using 2 pods) fire 4, 8 and 16 rockets respectively per pod, which means in long burst mode you fire one 16 rocket burst and then just 4, as there are no more rockets. So that's wrong too.

I haven't tested S-13s or S-24, but implementation is currently under development, so not as important I guess.

[Wish I could delete misunderstood]

S-13/24 implementation is complete. Have been since launch 

If you are referring to them not working with auto CCIP, that is true to life. They do not and always require manual ranging. They were both Afghan war modifications. Even S-8 rockets did not have auto CCIP during Afghan war, I think CCIP for S-8 wasn’t added to Mi-24V/P/VP fleet until Chechnya war

It’s likely not an easily updated system 

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

2 hours ago, AeriaGloria said:

[Wish I could delete misunderstood]

S-13/24 implementation is complete. Have been since launch 

If you are referring to them not working with auto CCIP, that is true to life. They do not and always require manual ranging. They were both Afghan war modifications. Even S-8 rockets did not have auto CCIP during Afghan war, I think CCIP for S-8 wasn’t added to Mi-24V/P/VP fleet until Chechnya war

It’s likely not an easily updated system 

Oh! I thought they were just not implemented in early acces, this evening i'll test them too.

13 minutes ago, NumberTwo said:

Oh! I thought they were just not implemented in early acces, this evening i'll test them too.

If you ask me or read my weapons guide I have all the aiming tables you could possibly want🤣🤣🤣🤣 the Russian quick start guide and it’s English translation on user files has tables also, but I prefer my custom made ones, as they take into account the negative AOA needed at 300 kmh. And I pretty much just fire at that one speed, the regular stock 250 kmh tables in the manual  (which you will be forced to use at higher altitudes and temperatures) work pretty well. But for some reason the 300 kmh expect your nose to be nearly level🤣🤣🤣 and then there’s the fact that these tables also sometimes say they are 0-10degrees, and work better for some angles then others. Find out what profile works the best for you, and fire in active pause 

Mine are for 300 kmh, 300m altitude for S-24 and 250m for S-13, and for firing at max range light turning on at 2.2 km for sake of simplicity and that being a good middle ground (you can still use the auto ranging with them). That way I am exposed to fire the least while still having pretty good accuracy. 

Edited by AeriaGloria