GUV8700 MG use fixed instead of floating reticle.

sneo
Go to solution Solved by AeriaGloria,

No, actually only the floating reticle don't work correctly, because you are not in range yet. Or some times it happen to me, the floating reticle stuck on wrong position, for some reason. Then i have to switch to cannon and back to gunnpod or rockets and it works again

Edited by bingbean

aiming at random tree, yellow light indicates within range, fired, shots appears to follow fixed reticle and lands off (see circled red). not sure what I am doing wrong but I don't recall it being this off when I last used it afew weeks ago.

2.jpg

57 minutes ago, sneo said:

aiming at random tree, yellow light indicates within range, fired, shots appears to follow fixed reticle and lands off (see circled red). not sure what I am doing wrong but I don't recall it being this off when I last used it afew weeks ago.

2.jpg

The first picture you posted makes sense becuase the system does not work if the nose is level or pointed up. The system requires Atleast 1 degree nose down to operate, as your second picture shows. 

The GUV gun pod has had some CCIP issues since release, so hopefully it’s that. It looks like in your second picture the issue is the range calculated is too large. Is your radar altimeter on? For example if you have generator failure, your radar altimeter will be dead for a few minutes, and during those minutes the CCIP will not work correctly 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

• Solution
6 hours ago, sneo said:

thanks for the info on the 1 degree nose down. both instances are hot spawn in air without failures. I posted because the behavior for cannons with floating reticle works but not for GUV8700.

I don’t know if these cause your issues but the system has a few innacuracies 

1. Becuase it calculates range from angle and altitude, any difference in altitude between target and ground the radar altimeter sees will give you incorrect range depending on height difference 

2. it has a slight delay when the nose first goes nose down, and a delay when it comes movement as it’s a gyro sight. It is recommend to keep the pipper stabilized for 1-2 seconds before firing by the manual 

3. the radar altimeter overestimates range beyond 15 degrees. This means that range will be too long when diving that far 

4. The system only calculates range based of where boresight points. So if the weapon has a CCIP point that is not near boresight, the computed range will be off, this is normally not a problem for guns but it is for S-8OFP2 and S-24

That and more is in my weapons guide, but unfortuently I do think this might be a bug and it might not be able to help you 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

following your Mi24P weapons guide on section 1, it is very helpful to understand how the parameters work. with tighter margins, the weapon hits the targets consistently despite what appears to have rounds passing through the fixed reticle. very likely it does fire thru the fixed reticle but the floating reticle provides information on where the rounds will land. appreciate it.