Flat as a pancake

LupinYonder

Hi there, i've been having troubles with rotor colision between the two sets and have been wondering if i have been doing something wrong. Ok here is what i have learned/understood so far

Turbulence can contribute to rotor collision

Exsesive speed can result in rotor collision

Exsesive rudder ( especially right ) can result in rotor collision.

High altidue effects rotor behavior too.

Now thats all well and good, though i do seem to randomly get rotor collision during turns even being away of these factors.

BUT! recently doing a mission with 3 wingmen flying at about 2000 at a speed of 244 and went to extirior view, and as i expected my rotors are pritty close to touching ( is that normal anyway ? )

Checking my wingmen i find that their rotors are almost flat!!!??? they are at the same alt and speed as me and flying in formation, my rudder is trimmed to neutral.

Are AI wingmen not modeled to the same lvl of realisum as the player heli or am i STILL doing something wrong, this is a really frustrating gap in my ka-50 knowlage atm..

I would recommend flying a little more gently, especially at high altitudes where the rotor is grabbing as much air as possible. The only time I get collisions is when I jerk the heli around from one side to the next, I'm sure gyroscopic forces are pretty extreme under those circumstances.

Hi there, i've been having troubles with rotor colision between the two sets and have been wondering if i have been doing something wrong. Ok here is what i have learned/understood so far

Turbulence can contribute to rotor collision

Exsesive speed can result in rotor collision

Exsesive rudder ( especially right ) can result in rotor collision.

High altidue effects rotor behavior too.

Looks like you've learned/understood a lot of stuff on your own! Good job :)

Now thats all well and good, though i do seem to randomly get rotor collision during turns even being away of these factors.

BUT! recently doing a mission with 3 wingmen flying at about 2000 at a speed of 244 and went to extirior view, and as i expected my rotors are pritty close to touching ( is that normal anyway ? )

Yup! Try to maintain 130IAS. It's your most efficient flight speed.

Checking my wingmen i find that their rotors are almost flat!!!??? they are at the same alt and speed as me and flying in formation, my rudder is trimmed to neutral.

Are AI wingmen not modeled to the same lvl of realisum as the player heli or am i STILL doing something wrong, this is a really frustrating gap in my ka-50 knowlage atm..

AI ALWAYS cheats. They have to - they ain't as smart as you. They are modeled to a much, much higher degree of realism than they were in LOFC, but they still need a bit of help here and there ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thank you so much for your quick replies, i think knowing that 130IAS is the most efficient speed rather than trying for 200-230 all the time will be really usefull, should help on fuel bills too!

I have seen a lot of posts about this topic, enough to possible warrent a well written sticky guide covering turning at different speeds and how to avoid rotor chop :-)

P.S. Have asked a similar question before but when i knew less, let me just add that i dont fly like a cowboy, yanking my chopper this way and that ( well only sometimes, and at low speeds ;-)