new settings in "appSettings.lua"

dlder

Can anyone tell me what these new settings do?

Before 2.8.1

windowPlacement = {
    ["y"] = 0,
    ["x"] = 0,
    ["w"] = 3440,
    ["h"] = 1440,
}

After the update:

windowPlacement = {
    ["y"] = 0,
    ["x"] = 0,
    ["w"] = 3440,
    ["h"] = 1440,
}

monitors = {
    [1] = {
        ["rcMonitor"] = {
            ["top"] = 0,
            ["right"] = 3440,
            ["left"] = 0,
            ["bottom"] = 1440,
        },
        ["dwFlags"] = 1,
        ["rcWork"] = {
            ["top"] = 0,
            ["right"] = 3440,
            ["left"] = 0,
            ["bottom"] = 1400,
        },
    },
}

I ask, because I have different files for how many MFDs I'm running. So, if this code is needed or better yet: if I can use it for something specific, I'd like to know 🙂

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This has something to do with the placement of your monitors in Windows. I've had my setup going for a while but about a week ago made a small change to the graphics settings screen and from then on my entire screen was shifted up. I thought it was a viewport problem but none of that had changed - took me a couple hours to find these new settings and saw that my Y axis placement was -400, this is due to my use of a 1440p monitor in vertical mode, even though that is the one screen I do not use for DCS. That value comes from the difference in height between my 4K monitor in landscape and my 1440p being in portrait - along with that I run 3x external LCDs for MFD exports. It's an unusual setup for sure, but just in case this helps anyone else.

If I had to guess as to a purpose - perhaps to streamline/simplify MFD exports and multi-monitor setups?

MM_Setup.png

• Like 1

Yeah, I too was thinking that maybe DCS might allow for better MFD export configuration; but I'm not sure if/how one could utilize these.

When I enable one of my MFDs the "windowPlacement" stays the same as before, and the new "monitors" variable has 2 entries (for 2 monitors)

windowPlacement = {
    ["y"] = 0,
    ["x"] = 0,
    ["w"] = 4240,
    ["h"] = 1440,
}

-- added with DCS 2.8 and auto-generated:
monitors = {
    [1] = {
        ["rcMonitor"] = {
            ["top"] = 0,
            ["right"] = 3440,
            ["left"] = 0,
            ["bottom"] = 1440,
        },
        ["dwFlags"] = 1,
        ["rcWork"] = {
            ["top"] = 0,
            ["right"] = 3440,
            ["left"] = 0,
            ["bottom"] = 1400,
        },
    },
    [2] = {
        ["rcMonitor"] = {
            ["top"] = 0,
            ["right"] = 4240,
            ["left"] = 3440,
            ["bottom"] = 600,
        },
        ["dwFlags"] = 0,
        ["rcWork"] = {
            ["top"] = 0,
            ["right"] = 4240,
            ["left"] = 3440,
            ["bottom"] = 600,
        },
    },
}

The values from the 2nd are from the 800x600 MFD display. But this is currently configured inside the "monitorsetup" LUAs.

I haven't figured out how to use these new variables for or instead of the multimonitor LUA...

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2023 at 2:47 PM, Ayabe said:

This has something to do with the placement of your monitors in Windows. I've had my setup going for a while but about a week ago made a small change to the graphics settings screen and from then on my entire screen was shifted up. I thought it was a viewport problem but none of that had changed - took me a couple hours to find these new settings and saw that my Y axis placement was -400, this is due to my use of a 1440p monitor in vertical mode, even though that is the one screen I do not use for DCS. That value comes from the difference in height between my 4K monitor in landscape and my 1440p being in portrait - along with that I run 3x external LCDs for MFD exports. It's an unusual setup for sure, but just in case this helps anyone else.

If I had to guess as to a purpose - perhaps to streamline/simplify MFD exports and multi-monitor setups?

MM_Setup.png

Did you find a solution for this? I have a similar setup and I have to edit de appSettings.lua and set to 0 every time I run DCS. Tried setting the file to read only but it doesnt work.