Recommendations to prep for the F-4 before release?

Voyager

Going to be getting back into DCS after a long time away, and slowly zeroing in on wanting to do pilot side multicrew. Given everything, I think that probably means my focus planes will be the F-4 and F-14, since they have talky AI backseaters. 

Given that, is there a likely best way to get prepped for the F-4 when it does go live? I.E. Learn F-4 systems and night Ops though an MSFS module? Focus on the F-14 for now for the missiles and multi-crew side? Pick another cold war era aircraft to learn that generation of electronics and capabilities? 

I'm curious what people think, and what they are doing to get F-4 ready? 

16 minutes ago, RaceFuel85 said:

Fly the Mirage F1. It has similar maneuvering characteristics to the F-4 and also shares a need to carefully manage speed and AOA. In terms of avionics, the F-5 will be the best primer for you. 

Interesting. I was not aware that the F1 flew similarly to the F-4. I've been interested in the plane, but hadn't taken the dive into it, mostly because the Dassault avionics are just so different from everything else. 

But this might be a good excuse to start, and start with pure BFM and Sidewinder operations.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Interesting. I was not aware that the F1 flew similarly to the F-4. I've been interested in the plane, but hadn't taken the dive into it, mostly because the Dassault avionics are just so different from everything else. 

But this might be a good excuse to start, and start with pure BFM and Sidewinder operations.

They have similar AOA limitations and such. By most accounts the Mirage F1C flew very similarly to the hard wing F-4D (IE no slats) so the F-4E we're getting should be similar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zpigman said:

VSN just updated their Phantom II B/C mod to include a cockpit, if your looking for building points of references during fights, haven't flown it out yet but am eager to try it later today.

Allowing for the fact it’s a mod, it flies and operates pretty close to what I’ve read about hard wing Phantoms. Note that because it lacks the slats and updated horizontal stabilizers of the F-4E , the F-4C /F-4B mod will turn poorly relative to the F-4E. 

26 minutes ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

Allowing for the fact it’s a mod, it flies and operates pretty close to what I’ve read about hard wing Phantoms. Note that because it lacks the slats and updated horizontal stabilizers of the F-4E , the F-4C /F-4B mod will turn poorly relative to the F-4E. 

Correct, but the overall flight performance will be a much larger help in terms of learning manuvering and aircraft handling. The jump to the slats should feel more like jumping from the 14A to the 14B in terms of understanding. The radar will also be different, and I don't think it has an AI back seater so that won't be as polished. I think in terms of learning habits that will kill you, you could do worse. Like I said though I need to actually fly it to see, earlier renditions had lots of problems.  

Personally I've just got a policy of not using mods. Support the makers, what they do, and hope they get more support, but the lack of full fidelity really scratches me the wrong way. Can only really bear the lack of being able to hit all the buttons in WW2 planes like in IL-2, and even then when I play IL-2 I'm usually longing to get back into something with a jet engine (that will last longer than the month)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1