Cant force OpenXR after I set Steamvr as default for MT shortcut.

BMGZ06

After I updated and made the MT shortcut it launched originally in OpenXR but the FPS was all over the place and stuttery. I opened SteamVR and went to force Steamvr to be used. Then reprojection worked again but it is so jittery all the time it made me sick in the Reverb G2. I went back to STeamVr setting int he Developer tab and I can not set OpenXR anymore. no option at all. I tried the command line arguments in the Properties Target box to Force Vr and Force Open Xr but Steam VR still launches no matter what I do. I uninstalled steam VR and of course I cant get DCS to run in VR at all even with the Force VR argument in the Target field in Properties for the Shortcut. Not sure what do to go back to using OpenXR now only.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

7 hours ago, BMGZ06 said:

After I updated and made the MT shortcut it launched originally in OpenXR but the FPS was all over the place and stuttery. I opened SteamVR and went to force Steamvr to be used. Then reprojection worked again but it is so jittery all the time it made me sick in the Reverb G2. I went back to STeamVr setting int he Developer tab and I can not set OpenXR anymore. no option at all. I tried the command line arguments in the Properties Target box to Force Vr and Force Open Xr but Steam VR still launches no matter what I do. I uninstalled steam VR and of course I cant get DCS to run in VR at all even with the Force VR argument in the Target field in Properties for the Shortcut. Not sure what do to go back to using OpenXR now only.

Do not use the --force command lines, you don't need them anymore so delete them from your shortcut. MT DCS is currently running on the OXR API, but for G2 users can be using either the SteamVR runtime, or the Windows Mixed Reality Runtime both of which are using OXR API. Without SteamVR installed, you either need to click "fix it" when prompted to in the Mixed Reality window when running an OXR app like DCS, OR you can use the OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality app to change the runtime to WMR.

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/openxr-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9N5CVVL23QBT?hl=en-us&gl=us

Using the app, you need to go under the "Mixed Reality" tab, and change the runtime. Again, double check your shortcut to be sure your --force commands for MT DCS are deleted.

Edited by July

12 hours ago, July said:

Do not use the --force command lines, you don't need them anymore so delete them from your shortcut. MT DCS is currently running on the OXR API, but for G2 users can be using either the SteamVR runtime, or the Windows Mixed Reality Runtime both of which are using OXR API. Without SteamVR installed, you either need to click "fix it" when prompted to in the Mixed Reality window when running an OXR app like DCS, OR you can use the OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality app to change the runtime to WMR.

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/openxr-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9N5CVVL23QBT?hl=en-us&gl=us

Using the app, you need to go under the "Mixed Reality" tab, and change the runtime. Again, double check your shortcut to be sure your --force commands for MT DCS are deleted.

For me when using WMR runtime - DCS crashes.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

13 hours ago, July said:

The biggest issue I noticed is that even when it first launched in OpenXR no steamvr the FPS was high but the jittery image was there and then Steamvr with motion reprojection and motion smoothing still had that Jittery image that was making me sick. Normal ST DCS is smooth and fine in Steamvr still. Wondering if I should just do a new savedgame folder.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

17 minutes ago, BMGZ06 said:

The biggest issue I noticed is that even when it first launched in OpenXR no steamvr the FPS was high but the jittery image was there and then Steamvr with motion reprojection and motion smoothing still had that Jittery image that was making me sick. Normal ST DCS is smooth and fine in Steamvr still. Wondering if I should just do a new savedgame folder.

Exactly. The old well known SteamVR smooth reprojection is not there any more.

Edited by sea2sky

2 hours ago, sea2sky said:

Exactly. The old well known SteamVR smooth reprojection is not there any more.

I am still able to use SteamVR motion smoothing over WMR + OXR reprojection by setting SteamVR as the runtime in the SteamVR settings. 

2 minutes ago, July said:

I am still able to use SteamVR motion smoothing over WMR + OXR reprojection by setting SteamVR as the runtime in the SteamVR settings. 

Where do you turn on OXR reprojection? I'm also able to run WMR + SteamVR (where SteamVR  is a runtime), but I'm getting a very strange visual effect of the image being lagged when moving the head from side to side (not a micro freeze), it is something else.

31 minutes ago, sea2sky said:

Where do you turn on OXR reprojection? I'm also able to run WMR + SteamVR (where SteamVR  is a runtime), but I'm getting a very strange visual effect of the image being lagged when moving the head from side to side (not a micro freeze), it is something else.

To use WMR + OXR motion reprojection, you have to use the OXR app that I linked above. There is a setting there you can set. Can't really recommend it though since it is so much worse than SVR motion smoothing

Edit: If you have a 7000 series AMD card, motion reprojection is broken at a driver level.

Edited by July

21 minutes ago, sea2sky said:

Ya I am getting the same odd lag or jitter when moving my head at all. Very uncomfortable.