Initial FOV broken for all planes after SnapViews.lua edit

Go to solution Solved by virgo47,

EDITED: Default view is fine, just initial FOV changes for whatever reasons.

I've just encountered a problem with default initial FOV. If I set the FOV for in-game and save the default view, it shows the right view under [13] FOV. But if I edit it in the file and change it, the plane has a different initial FOV after the mission starts (somehow higher, there seems to be some shift). Strangely, when I change the FOV now and save it again, the right default FOV is used as an initial FOV after the mission start, again.

Even if I change anything else in the file, the default initial FOVs are broken - for other planes as well (probably for all the planes)!

This means that any backup/restore of this file always breaks all the default starting FOVs.

After the first fright (and first version of the report) I tried Zoom normal and the expected value of FOV is set (relief).

Initial FOV can be worked around by zoom axis curve to tune the center position FOV, with the HOTAS sync at the mission start enabled.

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

• virgo47 changed the title to Initial FOV broken for all planes after SnapViews.lua edit
  • Solution

TL;DR: Does not relate to SnapViews.lua saving. Annoying FOV after mission load, but not serious.

Now the details:

I guess I got lost in my experiments with default view and editing SnapViews.lua manually while doing so.

This actually does not have anything with saving the file.

Every time I set my preferred view and its FOV, it is saved nicely into the file, but without HOTAS sync the initial FOV is always higher. E.g., default view FOV 20 will give you 28.2 after the mission loads, 89 will show 108.8, etc. It's not even linear!

With HOTAS sync, this can be mitigated, if you have a zoom axis and it is centered perfectly on your preferred FOV - which is possible with some tweaking.

Strangely though, some planes (e.g. TF-51D) do not read the zoom axis after the mission start. So you still need to tap Zoom normal or touch the axis. No problem.

It would be nice if the FOV after mission start was the default view FOV. There clearly is some relation - can't it be 1:1 for a change? 🙂

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube