Make my PC VR ready changing the old GPU?

pepin1234

My system is 8 years old and I’m struggling trying VR with my Oculus Quest 2. Literally my Graphics can’t handle nothing in VR using Oculus link, my AMD drivers stop working and display get dark so I will not use my Oculus in link cable mode until I buy a new PC. 

Do you think upgrading only the GPU to a VR ready one may I use my Oculus Quest 2?

I got AMD FX 8350, Ram 32gb, Win10. My motherboard is PCie 2.0 and my concern is if the new GPU get damage due the PCie 2.0 limitation or system in general. I would try buy an AMD FX 6800 XT or up.

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• pepin1234 changed the title to Make my PC VR ready changing the old GPU?

To be completely honest, I would not try VR at all with that system, its a lost cause. DCS has weird high CPU requirements and framerate inconsistency, and your FX 8350 probably cant deliver anything but a miserable experience. I got enough issues with an I5 12400, which is probably >5-10x as fast or so.

Generally, with that CPU, your likely slow memory and PCIe 2.0, dropping a 6800 XT on that would be a massive waste. Idk if it could even deal with the power requirements.

Id say upgrading your PC to an I5 12400/Ryzen 5600X should be the minimum, and then you can consider an RX 6800 XT.

Edited by Temetre

32 minutes ago, Temetre said:

To be completely honest, I would not try VR at all with that system, its a lost cause. DCS has weird high CPU requirements and framerate inconsistency, and your FX 8350 probably cant deliver anything but a miserable experience. I got enough issues with an I5 12400, which is probably >5-10x as fast or so.

Generally, with that CPU, your likely slow memory and PCIe 2.0, dropping a 6800 XT on that would be a massive waste. Idk if it could even deal with the power requirements.

Id say upgrading your PC to an I5 12400/Ryzen 5600X should be the minimum, and then you can consider an RX 6800 XT.

Of course, I will build a new system. I just want to buy the GPU now and meanwhile use it somehow for VR in my old PC. But that take a while until I get the full parts so using the GPU in my oldy system could be a good move for now. I just don't wanna damage the new graphic. I have enough power to that upgrade so seem a possible option. 

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

vor 9 Minuten schrieb pepin1234:

Of course, I will build a new system. I just want to buy the GPU now and meanwhile use it somehow for VR in my old PC. But that take a while until I get the full parts so using the GPU in my oldy system could be a good move for now. I just don't wanna damage the new graphic. I have enough power to that upgrade so seem a possible option. 

I suspected as much, but the original question was if that makes your PC VR-ready^^

Btw if you get the choice, check if you can get a 5800 3D or so. That huge cache might help with the stutter, which is the biggest CPU issue in DCS VR. 7800 3D even better, tho AMD has some issues with that right now.

Now technically the 6800 XT should "work" in the PCI-E 2.0 slot, but no clue how it would work in reality. Im actually using that kind of GPU right now btw, seems pretty good for VR. 

Edited by Temetre
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CptBligh said:

You're wasting your time/money with a 6700xt and would especially so with any FX series CPU.  But have fun.

Not Really. Look below how only $350 made the difference while others spend $1500 in a new PC build to have ~50fps more than me...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pepin1234       I was in the same boat as you awhile back with an older system. I still consider what I have right now a budget system computer wise but have been really pleased with it. I average around 70-80 fps with my quest2 along with the openxr toolkit to finetune dcs

J

• Like 1

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8