J-11A with PL-12??

Wyvern

1 hour ago, Silver_Dragon said:

If someone get to ED correct documentation from open sources with confirm that info. Not only pics.

Remember, that is not "balance" or "capabilities never put on services".

There are difference kind of balances involved here. A game manufacturer may choose to balance sides, however in DCS this is inherently not the case. We have airframes from early 80s (Mig-29, Su-27, Su-25A, A-10A), and some examples from early 90s (J-11A, Mig-29S, F-15C, Su-25T). Obviously pitting those aircraft against post-2005 airframes will not produce the "balance". However, even then we could argue that they are not modeled on the same level, or even that they are modeled in a totally wrong way with known faults and further accumulating errors as the time progresses. In this case there is a huge gap in DCS, which something that will continue to progress as more and more of capabilities is added to only one side. Result is obvious: it will be Blue vs Blue story and nothing else.

As for available documentation, I do not believe that ED has any IRL documentation on AIM-120C other than the marketing brochures. As a matter of fact I am willing to bet that there is no BVR missile or relevant aircraft radars in DCS for which there is any open and declassified documentation. While e.g. for R-27 and flanker/fulcrum there might be some things available in form of books, large majority of it is not declassified. Therefore I see no reason why ED could not apply same principles to FC3 and it's weaponary, since we clearly saw that they already did it in the past.

There is also one more personal asking from my side: I do understand that you are very passionate about DCS and you try to collect and assemble the news for us in a very professional manner, and I really do appreciate that. However sometimes you act as the ED's PR (BigNewy is doing great job at that), while I have a feeling that you are not 100% in your area of the know how. Please do not get offended by this, I will still continue following your content.  🙂

2 hours ago, Fighterinterceptor said:

R-27ER range of 130 km has been reduced to 100 km, do you know this? The PL-12 missile would not reach a range of 130 km, only 100 km!

From what I have seen on comments for R-27ER from people competent in this area,  the current range pretty much matches the projections. The major limitations to R-27ER are:

1. apparent inability to require on relock (single sentence statement from leaked manual)

2. it triggers RWR from launch. Probably it did not in early 80s, but by now in 2024 pretty much sure it does. R-77 does also trigger RWR, even though we know it has a different DL updates than R-27. Basically you fire them and they guys on other side start defending instantly.

3. power source of 60 seconds (it's not a battery, but rather a turbine) for both normal extended variants (by far this is the largest problem with ER/ET). The 60 seconds came from book published in Russian in general public. On one side it may be accurate, since reuse was design principle of this missile, on other side there are pictures showing different body part for ET/ER where they should be the same. Until this point I have not found any other evidence that would support existing 60 seconds or more for extended range ones.

As for PL-12, longest shot I made was 97km, with missile traveling at Mach 3 at the time of the impact.

There are many errors, but range itself is not the most critical limiting factor.

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Regarding the AIM-120 we have done a lot of work on them over the years you can see some of this work in past newsletters and white papers. 

I read majority of those papers (I can not claim I have found them all). Can you please confirm what was the source for the 3dB improvement in S/N for hornet/viper radars? Except for argument it's newer, hence better (which is natural to expect). Was some sort of analogy comparison done? (e.g. to avoid depending on IRL documentation).

• Like 1

• ED Team

Lets not derail this thread with AIM-120. 

Again if you think something is wrong and you have public data to prove it feel free to PM me. All of our research and years of development ensure we are as close to real life as we can be using data from public sources. 

Forgive me if this seems dismissive, I've been here over a decade with various people making claims and never being able to provide data that would be usable by us. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

5 hours ago, okopanja said:

From what I have seen on comments for R-27ER from people competent in this area,  the current range pretty much matches the projections. The major limitations to R-27ER are:

1. apparent inability to require on relock (single sentence statement from leaked manual)

2. it triggers RWR from launch. Probably it did not in early 80s, but by now in 2024 pretty much sure it does. R-77 does also trigger RWR, even though we know it has a different DL updates than R-27. Basically you fire them and they guys on other side start defending instantly.

3. power source of 60 seconds (it's not a battery, but rather a turbine) for both normal extended variants (by far this is the largest problem with ER/ET). The 60 seconds came from book published in Russian in general public. On one side it may be accurate, since reuse was design principle of this missile, on other side there are pictures showing different body part for ET/ER where they should be the same. Until this point I have not found any other evidence that would support existing 60 seconds or more for extended range ones.

I don't argue with the developers anymore because this is a game software in which you have to use the values set by the developers! The R-27ER used to be able to do 130 km, now it is 100 km, but I ask why the N001 radar can detect bomber-sized targets from 200+ km completely unnecessarily! I know information from other places, but the problem is that until you have a secret document that they make public, they will never take you seriously! I ask why the N001 radar sees bomber-sized targets 200+ km away?

So let's say: Max launch distance for R-27R( R1 export ) is 60kms in stratosphere for big incoming air target. Max possible launch distance with max launch parameters V max 2.2 Mach and H max 16kms for MiG-29 is 90kms . For R-27ER it is more then 150kms when launched from Su-27S ( V max 2.2 Mach and H max 18kms )

Simple! The Su 27, the N001, and the R-27ER are secret, so they must be set so that they don't violate the law, if that's the case, nobody cares!

I just want a PL-12 missile, which I have already proven in many ways that everyone would only benefit from it if it happened!

Edited by Fighterinterceptor

• ED Team

folks again, dont go off topic or we will just close the thread. 

Topic here is J-11A with PL-12 

off topic posts will be removed. 

thank you 

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, Fighterinterceptor said:

I don't argue with the developers anymore because this is a game software in which you have to use the values set by the developers! The R-27ER used to be able to do 130 km, now it is 100 km, but I ask why the N001 radar can detect bomber-sized targets from 200+ km completely unnecessarily! I know information from other places, but the problem is that until you have a secret document that they make public, they will never take you seriously! I ask why the N001 radar sees bomber-sized targets 200+ km away?

I believe that a forum user @tavarish palkovnik did do independent in-depth validation of the range based on the known parameters + some assumptions.

As for the radar range, I am not sure what are you aiming at, but I would suggest you take the radar equation to compare the ranges for different radar ranges and see if they follow the same parameters. You might be able even to derive some of the parameters ED has used.

2 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

off topic posts will be removed. 

please do not delete, but let's refocus on PL-12 as you suggested.

• ED Team
14 minutes ago, okopanja said:

please do not delete, but let's refocus on PL-12 as you suggested.

Yes that is all we need to keep this thread active. 

thank you 

• Like 1

• ED Team

I have checked with the teams, we have no plans to add the PL-12 to the J-11A

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2024 at 11:22 PM, Fighterinterceptor said:

Thanks for your patience and help!

I was wondering if you have ever jumped into GS MP server, they got all PL-12 all over the place for J-11A.  FOX-3s are now getting further and plenty in J-11A or even Su-33 in GS.

Additionally, If you are flying solo, from mission editor, you can arm two SD-10s for J11A, i find it somehow saved/stored within the bottom default weapon load-out configuration.

We are still however, unable to rearm mid-game, you can only have SD-10/ PL-12 when the mission begin (or when you are slotting in within MP server).  Also, few graphical glitches like missing pylons will be seen.  Other than that, its all good!

Cheers!

6 minutes ago, cerebrave said:

unable to rearm mid-game

Not true. Once you returned and shut your aircraft down, open the rearm and refuel menu and change NOTHING other than fuel and countermeasures and it will reload the missiles you had in the  beginning.

7 minutes ago, cerebrave said:

like missing pylons will be seen

This was fixed with the latest DCS update

• Like 2

My skins

16 hours ago, Mike_Romeo said:

Not true. Once you returned and shut your aircraft down, open the rearm and refuel menu and change NOTHING other than fuel and countermeasures and it will reload the missiles you had in the  beginning.

This was fixed with the latest DCS update

Hey.. thanks buddy.  So all is good now!  amazing, problem solved!

21 hours ago, cerebrave said:

I was wondering if you have ever jumped into GS MP server, they got all PL-12 all over the place for J-11A.  FOX-3s are now getting further and plenty in J-11A or even Su-33 in GS.

Additionally, If you are flying solo, from mission editor, you can arm two SD-10s for J11A, i find it somehow saved/stored within the bottom default weapon load-out configuration.

We are still however, unable to rearm mid-game, you can only have SD-10/ PL-12 when the mission begin (or when you are slotting in within MP server).  Also, few graphical glitches like missing pylons will be seen.  Other than that, its all good!

Cheers!

I would like to add about my mention of the missile in the Mission Editor (ME), an ED beta tester confirmed to me that it shouldn't be there by default. 

After some confusion on how those are there, I found out that the missiles are apparently being there because I had 'stolen' the configuration from an ME server/map that had the mod.  For instance I did mentioned that my J-11A had two SD10 in ME, it is because I saved my load-out during a SATAC match I play recently. 

Knowing that, I try just now in GS, save the load-out during a GS match, then voila! PL-12 missiles can be used in your own ME for your own mission for J-11A and Su-33.  It is a great way to obtain these for your own play (and yes, it is now with pylons).

Cheers!