F-16C Block 50 External Model Bugs/Missing details

ACS_Dev

Hello,

Since I started really diving into the F-16 in DCS I have found some inaccuracies in the 3D model that I think might be able to get fixed.
These issues include missing panels, a lot of missing landing gear detail and missing pins/covers for when the jet is on the ground.

Missing Panels:

ADG/CSD panel and oil service panel, MLG gear and gear bay details:
UndersidePicScrubbed.jpg
This picture is of the underside, right side of an F-16C block 50 in real life. I am absolutely positive this is an F-16 block 50 as I know when and where this picture was taken.
This picture is of the underside, right side of an F-16 in DCS.
undersideDCS.png

The 3D model of the F-16 in DCS is missing these panels. Interestingly, the much lower quality AI F-16C block 50 is not. These panels are typical of a jet operating with a GE engine which makes me suspect the reason for the discrepancy may be from a choice to externally model a block 42 or 52.

Also evident from the comparison is the lack of detail in the MLG/MLG bay compared to the real life or even other ED modules.
undersideHornet.png

The F-18 released more than a year prior to the F-16, yet the F-16 still has much lower detail in comparison. The difference becomes more stark when compared to more recent ED modules and especially those made by 3rd parties.

ka50Underside.png

mi24Underside.png

These pictures are of the ED KA-50 and MI-24 respectively.
F15EUnderside.png
And this is the F-15E from Razbam, showing incredible detail.
The F-16 is also missing the assorted pins and covers found on the F-18.
pinsmodels.png

Given this information, is there a possibility of a 3D model update for the Viper? These issues are relatively small but given the accuracy that the Sim tries to achieve, a block 50 with pratt characteristics (see also previously reported issues with SEC check performance, also indicative of a pratt aircraft) falls short in my opinion, especially compared to the level of quality found in other ED modules.

Edited by ACS_Dev
Cleaning up some images.
  • Like 5

I suggest checking out this excellent user created livery which greatly improves the look of the DCS Viper.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/310196-f-16-viper-textures-overhaul

I hope ED can take inspiration from or somehow incorporate the level of texture detail and quality from this mod eventually in addition to your suggestions regarding the 3D model. A lot of the details you're hoping for in the landing gear bay cannot be achieved in mods until the model itself is changed by ED. That being said, there are many major improvements with this livery like adding missing panels/other details, correcting fasteners as well as some larger overall improvements I really appreciate. In the default stock livery, there are incorrect colorations visible on the wing that look almost 'pinkish' in some areas to me which this corrects as well as the incorrect scale of weathering/scratch marks which are clearly visible in your screenshot of the main landing gear area. Also the default livery does not have the correct balance of gloss to matte compared to your photos or any I have seen of the block 50 and the mod comes much closer to actual finish.

• Like 2