Foggy Headset at night

F18mech

Have a fog condition onset during night ops. Goes away with NVGs on and when lights are turned on Bright in cockpit and the taxi light.

Have a new Pimax Crystal. This did not happen with the Reverb G2. Tried different settings with the Backlight option slider, Made ittle difference.

I have not Figured out the screenshot from within the headset, as it does not work like Windows mixed reality. 

I have attached what i could for files...

Headset works well in Daytime missions 

JR

rtx 4090 3.png

rtx 4090 2.png

rtx 4090 1.png

Pimax Settings.png

DxDiag.txt dcs.log.old FOG.trk

Edited by F18mech
update

Well I believe this is just a headset issue. I did not think so at first because only happened in Night missions. However,

The crystal has a feature in it called local dimming. it is hidden in settings and you have to dig by Cntrl Q to locate it. I found this in the discord channels. After trying all three settings the highlight setting would have the clearest views during night operations and still have great views on NVGs. The daytime graphics are great.

If you spent any time looking into this matter I apologize for wasting your time. Thanks anyway for the work you guys do..

JR

• Like 1

i have the latest v56 and am on the beta program.  i still see the issue at night.  however, i found out that some of my squadron mates who are on other headset, said they were having the same issue.  its possible that this is a DCS OpenXR bug and not oculus.  (also note that all other PCVR games seem fine). For now, im flying TrackIR for night ops.  i forgot how much faster the sim runs in 2D! 144fps! its kind of a nice break 🙂

On 7/24/2023 at 3:15 PM, F18mech said:

Were you able to resolve the issue?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 7:33 AM, F18mech said:

I'm not seeing issues anymore. It has cleared up..

I just got my Crystal and I am seeing those foggy effects with the default (highest) local dimming setting. Turning it down gets rid of that effect but makes the rest of the blacks much more grey. I do think this is an issue on the DCS end, as it works far better in MSFS.

Hi everyone actually I have the same problem but in MSFS when using F-117 for night flight it's so foggy that its blurred all the light on the horizon, far away night light was gone. Not sure on Ctrl-Q but in my Pimax apps there is a setting for Local Dimming with  off, xxxx, Highlight and Extreme but seems not helping much.

Not sure on the firmware or apps version but check update its the latest Pimax apps 

Still want to try different setup again though to ensure issues not coming from my own setup

• 8 months later...

My issues were solved by the use of the local dimming feature. My issue was an overall fogging of the eyepieces not just the left one.sorry if this is not much help..

• Like 1