Grabbing a moving target with the TGP

SickSidewinder9
Go to solution Solved by Coyle,

I was playing on a PVE server last night and was having a hell of a time getting the moving target I wanted in a convoy to be tracked by the T pod.  The one that goes on the centerline, if it matters (LITENING?).  Does the ATFLIR just do better for that?  Should I use TDC depress instead of SCS several times.  I could find the convoy in the GMT radar, but of course the T pod doesn't currently follow that.  So, I was trying to slave it to the air defense vehicle and just got shot down instead of getting it to track the right one.  There's gotta be a more reliable way to do it, right?

• Solution

I'd avoid using the LITENING, as our ATFLIR should be the better modelled pod in just about every metric and avionics integration since it has come out that we have a Spanish LITENING pod that pre-dates MSI. The one thing we lose out on is not having an IR laser pointer, due to ED modelling a pre-preduction ATFLIR that has neither the NAVFLIR (early pods should) or the IR marker.

You have a couple of options with the ATFLIR. You can SCS long towards the FLIR page to go straight from INR to AUTO (the moving target track) with out having to step INR>SCENE>AUTO, or you can go from SCENE to AUTO more smoothly than the LITENING because you can still slew in SCENE mode, requiring just one command of SCS towards the FLIR page.

If you decide to use the SCS long HOTAS shortcut you can move your LOS along with the target while it cues to track it, or you could move to AUTO ahead of the target and let it run into the cue, where the pod will then pick it up and track it.