Missing ALR-56M RWR Features/Behaviors

Voy

I was doing some research on the AN/ALR-56M RWR and came across some information that describes some behaviors that are not in DCS.

How did I get this info?
If you look up "CDC 2A354C Volume 3" (Better results on something like DuckDuckGo than Google), you'll find several practice test websites with flashcards all containing the same (or very similar) questions & answers made all by different people with different dates. From what I understand, a CDC is a Career Development Course, basically a test that airmen take to prove their qualified in certain aircraft/systems. That specific CDC Code is for F-16C/D avionics and systems. The best one I found is this one (pages 4-5) which specifically talks about the ALR-56M.

Behaviors
1. The LAUNCH Button
s1.png

When you press the LAUNCH button, it should play the missile launch audio, and presumably test the LAUNCH button lamp.

2. System Initialization
s4.png

s5.png

When you power up the RWR, there should be a *3* minute long initialization process where"I" should be display in the center of the RWR display (Same place as "S" or "L" when using the Search & Low functions).
Side note: You can still hear the Hornet's ALR-67 power up sound in the F-16 when you turn on the RWR, this is leftover from day 1 when the F-16 had all Hornet RWR sounds.

3. BIT / SYS TEST
s2.png
When performing the BIT on the RWR, there is currently no Lamp test portion, all the buttons on the threat warning panel should be lighting up like a christmas tree! (Added in Feb, 2024) Also the audio test part of the BIT currently in DCS is pretty questionable, but I don't have enough info to say what it should exactly be.

4. Symbol Positions While Maneuvering
s6.png
I interpreted this one as; Since the ALR-56M has the navigation data (including heading), when you are turning, the symbols on the display should be changing their position/azimuth in real time. Currently, the symbols only update their position every time the emitter scans the aircraft. So, if a radar scans me every 5 seconds, and I make a 90 degree turn in 3 seconds, the symbol would be showing in the completely wrong spot (90 degrees off), and then jump to the correct location. This can get really disorientating when trying to notch, as I'm sure most of you know.

Conclusion
I know ED will most likely not use this data, since it is not a first-hand source, but I hope having knowledge of these supposed behaviors might make it easier to find usable documentation since they'd know what behaviors to specifically look for. Or, maybe ED already has documentation on it and just misinterpreted it, who knows.

If anyone finds some more information, or thinks I'm interpreting this wrong, I'd love to hear ya'll out.

Also, this is not meant to give ED a hard time, I know finding documentation on these kinds of systems is difficult, it's all just in the spirit of creating the best F-16 sim!

Edited by Voy
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

On 9/20/2023 at 9:06 PM, Voy said:

I was doing some research on the AN/ALR-56M RWR and came across some information that describes some behaviors that are not in DCS.

How did I get this info?
If you look up "CDC 2A354C Volume 3" (Better results on something like DuckDuckGo than Google), you'll find several practice test websites with flashcards all containing the same (or very similar) questions & answers made all by different people with different dates. From what I understand, a CDC is a Career Development Course, basically a test that airmen take to prove their qualified in certain aircraft/systems. That specific CDC Code is for F-16C/D avionics and systems. The best one I found is this one (pages 4-5) which specifically talks about the ALR-56M.

Behaviors
1. The LAUNCH Button
s1.png

When you press the LAUNCH button, it should play the missile launch audio, and presumably test the LAUNCH button lamp.

2. System Initialization
s4.png

s5.png

When you power up the RWR, there should be a *3* minute long initialization process where"I" should be display in the center of the RWR display (Same place as "S" or "L" when using the Search & Low functions).
Side note: You can still hear the Hornet's ALR-67 power up sound in the F-16 when you turn on the RWR, this is leftover from day 1 when the F-16 had all Hornet RWR sounds.

3. BIT / SYS TEST
s2.png
When performing the BIT on the RWR, there is currently no Lamp test portion, all the buttons on the threat warning panel should be lighting up like a christmas tree! Also the audio test part of the BIT currently in DCS is pretty questionable, but I don't have enough info to say what it should exactly be.

4. Symbol Positions While Maneuvering
s6.png
I interpreted this one as; Since the ALR-56M has the navigation data (including heading), when you are turning, the symbols on the display should be changing their position/azimuth in real time. Currently, the symbols only update their position every time the emitter scans the aircraft. So, if a radar scans me every 5 seconds, and I make a 90 degree turn in 3 seconds, the symbol would be showing in the completely wrong spot (90 degrees off), and then jump to the correct location. This can get really disorientating when trying to notch, as I'm sure most of you know.

Conclusion
I know ED will most likely not use this data, since it is not a first-hand source, but I hope having knowledge of these supposed behaviors might make it easier to find usable documentation since they'd know what behaviors to specifically look for. Or, maybe ED already has documentation on it and just misinterpreted it, who knows.

If anyone finds some more information, or thinks I'm interpreting this wrong, I'd love to hear ya'll out.

Also, this is not meant to give ED a hard time, I know finding documentation on these kinds of systems is difficult, it's all just in the spirit of creating the best F-16 sim!

I give you an A+ for the ingenuity of your method for finding information about the AN/ALR-56M. 😂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

ED added the Lamp test to the BIT in the last update, as well as more realistic BIT pages, one small step closer to feature complete.

Edited by Voy