If I not take chaff on the start, flare not will active.

Mosencev

AFAIK the countermeasures in the KB pod are fixed (or at least the maximum amount of flares and the maximum amount of chaff is fixed) and you shouldn't alter the amounts.

I'm not sure exactly how it works (so far going off an illustration found in this book (see page 31)) but from what I can tell the KB pod has 2 dispensers in it which are exclusively used for either chaff or flares.

At the very back of the pod, there's a small section for 36 flare cartridges (at least according to the DCS manual). Just forward of that, there's a retractable cover, which, when retracted, exposes a deflector and backward-firing ports for ejecting chaff. The chaff is presumably ejected into the deflector, which (with the help of vortex generators) scatters the chaff outwards and backwards.

Spoiler

YAXaYBr.png

Edited by Northstar98
grammar
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

23 часа назад, Northstar98 сказал:

AFAIK the countermeasures in the KB pod are fixed (or at least the maximum amount of flares and the maximum amount of chaff is fixed) and you shouldn't alter the amounts.

I'm not sure exactly how it works (so far going off an illustration found in this book (see page 31)) but from what I can tell the KB pod has 2 dispensers in it which are exclusively used for either chaff or flares.

At the very back of the pod, there's a small section for 36 flare cartridges (at least according to the DCS manual). Just forward of that, there's a retractable cover, which, when retracted, exposes a deflector and backward-firing ports for ejecting chaff. The chaff is presumably ejected into the deflector, which (with the help of vortex generators) scatters the chaff outwards and backwards.

Скрыть контент

YAXaYBr.png

Thank for answer. I read DCS manual, but not seen about 36 pcs. I lost 1 hour because I thought that I do something wrong in fly)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mosencev said:

I read DCS manual, but not seen about 36 pcs.

Sorry, I forgot to actually give the page number - it's page 121.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 3 months later...
On 10/1/2023 at 6:42 PM, Northstar98 said:

Reveal hidden contents

YAXaYBr.png

To be fair, after deep-diving into the Viggen I've noticed the KB pod doesn't really match what's described in the manual.

For starters, by default it contains 72 flares and 72 chaff. In-game, mode A doesn't seem to work at all and Quick Release will deploy 1 chaff and 1 flare every 2 seconds.

Touching the chaff/flare slider has the following effects:

It adjusts the amount of chaff and flares to equal the lowest of the two sliders. 
That means you can have a maximum of 140 chaff and 140 flares, but setting either to 0 means you carry nothing in the pod. (This is what OP noticed)
It also controls the rate at which countermeasures are dispensed. For flares this appears to be at a rate of (72 * 2s) / #flares.
Not sure about chaff yet, but it scales seemingly inversely. The more chaff you carry the slower it's dispensed.

It's all rather confusing.

-------------

On the flip-side. Being able to control the rate at which flares deploy means the pod went from "borderline useless in DCS" to "actually really great".

So if this gets fixed, please Heatblur, let us keep the ability to increase the rate of flare deployment. I don't mind only carrying 36 flares, but one flare every 2 second provides absolutely negligible protection to IR threats as they're simulated in DCS. (The F-14 flare program has the same issue, but there at least the pilot can take control.)
This really is one of those few instances where usability in the sim environment should overrule realism imo.

I really don't mind burning all my countermeasures in a single strike pass if it means I have an actual chance at decoying MANPADS... I don't intend to stick around anyway.

Edited by Noctrach

Am 25.1.2024 um 21:00 schrieb Noctrach:

adjusts the amount of chaff and flares to equal the lowest of the two sliders. 
That means you can have a maximum of 140 chaff and 140 flares, but setting either to 0 means you carry nothing in the pod. (This is what OP noticed)

this seems to be the case in the mission editor. but i also tested this on online servers and they seem to work fine.