Flight models and DCS

Kvack

Hello

Could someone give me an idea of what the flight models in DCS "look like" and how they are integrated with the DCS engine. What are the inputs and outputs? What data from DCS are accessible for mods and what data is not? Are the FMs a set of equations with different inputs and outputs? Are the FMs a set of tabulated values for each possible flight case? Are they something else?

I'd very much appreciate if examples could be provided either as screenshots, formulas or code.   

All answers are very much appreciated!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There is a flight model template you can find in your DCS main install directory! In the "API" folder, you can find an external FM template. It is a C++ project you can open with Microsoft Visual Studio, and the output is a .dll file. null

It's fairly open so you can do whatever you want with inputs. The main physics outputs are add_local_force() and add_local_moment() for forces and moments respectively, using vectors for orientation and position. A basic understanding of C++, aerodynamics, and vector math is useful here. You can also handle commands, fuel drain, damage, and parameters. A section of the main file looks like this:image.png

I would also recommend checking out the EFM source code for the A-4, F-104 and AH-6 mods, you can learn a lot from them. I am also thinking of making an enhanced template to make it easier to learn the basics.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...