Faster change with 3-way switch leaves the gear lever in cockpit in the middle position

virgo47

This is not MiG-15 specific, I encountered the same issue with Yak-52, but I see it as a control bug. I have a 3-way switch for the gear lever with each position mapped. But when I flip the position quicker, the lever in the cockpit stays in the middle:

Technically, the middle position "button' on the lever is generated by the "Boolean" function in VKB config software (virtual button when none of the up/down positions is on), but I this is of no consequence - as demonstrated by the very reliable action in the Controls itself. It's very responsive there.

Also, I thought it had something to do with the "pulse" action of the buttons - as I have it set to 50ms pulse instead of press-n-hold to avoid undesirable cockpit changes when I forget the lever in the "wrong" position before the mission. I nearly stopped writing this report - but to my surprise, this bug is present with normal button action as well.

I even tried to map up-neutral-down to keys 4-5-6 and went from 4 (up) through 5 (quickly) to 6 (and held it) - and the handle still stayed in the middle position. Simply put, until the plane doesn't do "its thing" in the middle position, it ignores any presses towards the extreme positions. This makes mapping the middle position on the lever itself counter-intuitive. I FEEL what I did. But the plane DIDN'T do it.

There should be some kind of queuing for these actions. I the up/down comes after the neutral, it should be executed.

Edited by virgo47
  • Like 2

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, K-dot-B said:

This must be a DCS-wide issue, because I've had the same thing happen with three way switches in the Harrier.

From module to module it depends how the switch/trigger events are registered. Typically there is a minimal amount of time needed to remain at high level, before DCS registers the event.

E.g. Ka50, F16.

However, there are examples where this is not the case, like JF17, where triggers are instant.

For each device the lua declaration provides a variable declaring on how frequently the device is being processed. You might want to play with this and see if it helps, however editing lua will result in integrity check failure.

At the moment I am away from home and can not tell you the name of the var.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 7:28 PM, virgo47 said:

I even tried to map up-neutral-down to keys 4-5-6 and went from 4 (up) through 5 (quickly) to 6 (and held it) - and the handle still stayed in the middle position

I think the issue here is 3 signals bring independant and arriving faster than minimal time needed to register event. You might want to try to delay the pulses relative to each other with timers.

Also changing the switch type from default one in VKB might provide you with instant solution. My Gladiator is not with me, but I also do not have 3 state switch.

Edited by okopanja
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, okopanja said:

I think the issue here is 3 signals bring independant and arriving faster than minimal time needed to register event. You might want to try to delay the pulses relative to each other with timers.

Also changing the switch type from default one in VKB might provide you with instant solution. My Gladiator is not with me, but I also do not have 3 state switch.

I tried both pulses and button behavior in VKB software, no difference, but also tried with the keyboard keys. The issue is either solvable on DCS end or not at all. As I described, even if the extreme position button is held (and SW indicates so), it will not register anymore if it was pressed during the "animation" (or whatever causes this behavior) to the middle position.

In other words - even if the button for extreme position is press and held (not "pulse" behavior), it doesn't matter. DCS will ignore it if it came too soon.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube