FPS troubles with custom map only

Farmerman55

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever experienced any FPS issues with only a map you've maybe created with mission editor?  I've recently created one of my "first" sorta mission oriented MIZ files.  I've rarely had much issue with any FPS issues to the point it's not playable, but this is doing just that...  It's a Syria map, with Aleppo & Abu Al-Duhur pretty well fortified, nothing too much I'd say. 

The Syria mission I've created I cant get over 5-8 FPS out of it.  For a comparison, I jumped onto multiplayer after that, logged into an A-10 in Hatay in the US 4YA Syria server with nearly 20 people at the time.  Im easily playing around 75-90 FPS on there, buttery smooth?!  

Any help or things to look for that someone may have seen before causing something similar?!  Custom mission contents below, along with some other odd & end things on bases:

-Few triggers thrown in for some late spawn aircrafts on the red side.

-Several convoys

-Both red/blue naval forces for aircraft carrier missions

-Awacs, tankers & drones launching from blue bases 

2 hours ago, Farmerman55 said:

It's a Syria map, with Aleppo & Abu Al-Duhur pretty well fortified, nothing too much I'd say. 

Well, it appears your map disagrees. How many units are placed, in how many groups, what are their orders? Any AI on the map draws performance, so that may be a factor.

2 hours ago, Farmerman55 said:

The Syria mission I've created I cant get over 5-8 FPS out of it.

If you get 70-90 on multiplayer maps, that is a good indication that you are having scripting/AI related issues. Are you running other scripts as well? And how many units does your map have? Ground, Sea and Air? A server doesn't render graphics, and can burn the entire performance on AI and scripts. If you run local, your computer has to do everything. So, perhaps:

- check the units that you have deployed, and maybe change them to static objects (they don't draw as much processing performance as AI units)

- check which scripts you are running that add more units (random civilian air traffic perhaps?)

- see what other scripts are running on your machine that you may drop

- check the effects (smoke, fires) and their density in the area

My recommendation with mission creation is to start small, and then grow the mission until you feel the performance impact, then start balancing. Creating missions is a fun art form, but it is art, so it will require some learning 🙂 

Edited by cfrag

7 hours ago, cfrag said:

Are you running other scripts as well? And how many units does your map have? Ground, Sea and Air? A server doesn't render graphics, and can burn the entire performance on AI and scripts. If you run local, your computer has to do everything. So, perhaps:

- check the units that you have deployed, and maybe change them to static objects (they don't draw as much processing performance as AI units)

- check which scripts you are running that add more units (random civilian air traffic perhaps?)

- see what other scripts are running on your machine that you may drop

- check the effects (smoke, fires) and their density in the area

No scripts that I know of, if you're speaking of things like lua files or commands.  I'm experienced with DCS for years, but very new to mission building.  So it could just be entirely I have too many AI units as you're stating.  I guess I just didn't think they would cause that much of a performance hit since they're scattered all acorss the whole syria map.  I'll take a look here in a moment & get a total count.

I didn't learn of scripting & things like that until last night, when I was searching through here with the search function & studying some.  I have a ways to go on learning!! lol thank you for the reply & help!!!

14 minutes ago, Farmerman55 said:

I didn't learn of scripting & things like that until last night, when I was searching through here with the search function & studying some.  I have a ways to go on learning!! lol thank you for the reply & help!!!

Be warned - mission building (and especially scripting) can be highly addictive, so tread carefully 🙂 

I recommend you start with the small things in mission editor (place player/client planes and one or two targets) before you move on to the more complex stuff. I enjoy sprucing up my bases with static objects and have only a few 'live' (AI) units move about. 

Once you have that working, start experimenting with triggers, trigger zones etc - and maybe even scripts. And put scripts last, because they are a multiplicator of your abilities, and you get the most out of scripting if you know how triggers and trigger zones work together.

Have fun!

• Like 1