Question re JDAM TOO mode authorisation.

norman99

The documents I have which detail JDAM systems and delivery methods, specifically state that TOO mode, whilst fully operational in the Hornet, was not authorised, and hence PP mode was used exclusively.

This was due to "current state of F/A-18C/D tactical airborne sensors is such that coordinate accuracy (TLE) exceeds the minimum requirement for GPS guidance.  This renders F/A-18C/D aircraft sensors unusable for JDAM employment either in real-time or as a second-party targeting source."

These manuals are from 2001/2002, so may be out of date. My question for whoever may know is, was TOO delivery mode ever authorised in the legacy C/D Hornets? If so, would anyone know a rough time period for its approval?

Lastly, just out of curiosity, what changes would have to be made to allow Hornet sensors to provide coordinates that meet JDAM accuracy requirements?

Edited by norman99

I wasn’t aware of that. (It’s been in my document library for a while, so I have no idea where I got it from). Still, I wouldn’t have thought just proving a rough timeframe for the approval of TOO delivery’s shouldn’t be too sensitive.

I’m interested in creating accurate era specific missions, so just wanted to know if and when TOO was made available to Hornets, and when they were limited to PP missions only.