What features you would like to have in dynamic campaign?

Hi,

I might be loosing my mind but I have thought about possibility to start building a new dynamic campaign next year. I'm not sure I'll do it but in case it happens I would like to hear your opinions about what kind of features players would like to be included? I have no idea how I would implement the dynamicity this time but certainly it won't be the way it was made in Flaming Sunrise Campaign. You can think out of the box and shoot with any suggestion. No problem if it's not even possible to be made. I just would like to hear what you think about.

Thank you.

Edited by Sandman Simulations
  • Like 1

• Sandman Simulations changed the title to What features you would like to have in dynamic campaign?

Hi,

Happy new year !!

I have no clue about dynamic campaign or creating any kind of campaign at all.

But what would maybe nice to have or to see...

A kind of track to watch, to see what the result of your action and strategie came out with. How does the frontline move in more detail.

Total freedom. If you own several modules. Switch between them, as you like. I think this would be insane, but I already guess completely impossible. 🙂

Regards

Frank

System: Asus ROG STRIX X570 , Ryzen 9 5900X , ASUS ROG STRIX LC 240 , 64 GB GSkill 3200 Trident Z , Powercolor Red Devil RX 6900 XT , Running SSD only

Input: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog , Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals , Track IR 5, VoiceAttac with Vaicom Pro, HP Reverb G2

DCS Open Beta , Nevada NTTR Map, Persian Gulf Map , Syria Map, F-14 Tomcat , F/A-18C Hornet , F-16 Viper, AV-8B Harrier, Supercarrier

2 hours ago, BoFrost said:

Hi,

Happy new year !!

I have no clue about dynamic campaign or creating any kind of campaign at all.

But what would maybe nice to have or to see...

A kind of track to watch, to see what the result of your action and strategie came out with. How does the frontline move in more detail.

Total freedom. If you own several modules. Switch between them, as you like. I think this would be insane, but I already guess completely impossible. 🙂

Regards

Frank

Thanks for reply.

All suggestions are welcome no matter how impossible they are. 

Some players have asked multiple modules to fly in same campaign.. I think it's not totally impossible, at least if there are two or three. Need to think about it. 

In Flaming Sunrise campaign there is freedom to choose tasks to AI and for yourself but all AI tasks need to be preplanned. Otherwice they won't do what you want. Tacview is a quite good application to check afterwards what happened in detail.

In dynamic campaign there is a big performance problem if all units are visible. In Flaming Sunrise air defense units only appear when enemy gets close enough and front line battles only happen for certain time period or if some of the good guys is close enough. If they are fighting all the time mission would be unplayable due to low fps. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the hint with Tacview. Dump that I did not realize to use it myself. Have the full version of it.

Regards

Frank 

System: Asus ROG STRIX X570 , Ryzen 9 5900X , ASUS ROG STRIX LC 240 , 64 GB GSkill 3200 Trident Z , Powercolor Red Devil RX 6900 XT , Running SSD only

Input: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog , Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals , Track IR 5, VoiceAttac with Vaicom Pro, HP Reverb G2

DCS Open Beta , Nevada NTTR Map, Persian Gulf Map , Syria Map, F-14 Tomcat , F/A-18C Hornet , F-16 Viper, AV-8B Harrier, Supercarrier

• 1 month later...

I've been working on a new dynamic campaign for about a month now. It's still uncertain whether it will ever see the light of day. Still some progress though. Hundreds of lines of triggers and an F10 menu structure for inputting an eight-character mission code. This gives around 24 billion different scenarios, so it should be enough.

The plan is to create a campaign where the player acts as an Air Wing commander and aims to advance goals by assigning tasks to four F-14 and six F/A-18 squadrons. The squadrons operate from two aircraft carriers and one land base. The player can personally fly missions they design as part of either the Tomcat or Hornet squadrons. 

Probably within a year, we'll see if it's possible to make such a campaign performance-friendly enough and if ED even approves this type of campaign.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow ! This sounds to be very very complex, even for the player himself !

Like to see the progress of it. Please keep us updated.

Regards

Frank

2 hours ago, BoFrost said:

Wow ! This sounds to be very very complex, even for the player himself !

Like to see the progress of it. Please keep us updated.

Regards

Frank

I'm trying to balance between playability and challenge so that the campaign wouldn't be too complicated to play. However, this kind of campaign is still aimed at players who are willing to put in some effort into planning tasks before diving in.

I'll report here on progress from time to time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have made some progress regarding the campaign. Once again, hundreds of lines of triggers.

A few rather laborious stages have now been completed. The AI aircraft spawning on the carrier deck in such an order and at suitable intervals so that they do not collide or get stuck requires quite a bit of testing. This is a somewhat risky part to break when ED changes deck behavior next time. However, with suitable timing, it is possible to get all aircraft airborne regardless of the order in which the player selects different AI flights to spawn. Another challenge in a dynamic campaign is radio messages, which easily overlap and interrupt the previous message. DCS cannot queue radio messages, so to prevent overlaps, another considerable set of triggers was needed.

So far, no insurmountable challenges have arisen. The main concern still lies with the performance issue caused by a large number of units. All possible units must be hidden whenever the player is not nearby or when an AI aircraft is not performing a task related to them.

image.jpeg

Dynamic 2-2 radio order.jpg

Dynamic 2-3 Ramat David.jpg

Dynamic 2-4 F-14 tasking.jpg

Dynamic 2-5 F-18 tasking.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Tests showed that the execution of SEAD flights was not effective. I had to redesign some parts, but now enemy air defense and about half of the AI aircraft flying SEAD missions are coded. Just the normal campaign development process. About 3500 lines of triggers are ready so far.

Once the SEAD missions are ready, Close Air Support missions will be next in line. These are a challenging part because a large number of ground units are quite resource-intensive. I don't yet know how this will be implemented while avoiding performance issues.

Dynamic 3-2 SEAD lauch.jpg

Dynamic 3-1 SEAD triggers.jpg

Dynamic 3-6 HIT.jpg

Dynamic 3-5 GBU.jpg

Dynamic 3-4 HARM.jpg

Dynamic 3-3 SAM.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1