FCR LOS invalid

markturner1960
Go to solution Solved by NeedzWD40,

What does this mean ? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• Solution
1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

What does this mean ? 

FCR data is invalid as a sight. It has no targets detected (or another invalid data state, like position too far from C-SCAN initial position) and therefore cannot provide ranging or positional information for weaponry.

Edited by NeedzWD40
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I am just learning how to use the FCR and in this case, was masking behind trees and buildings to avoid an SA8. At first Inthought it was happening because the radar was still masked by the buildings and trees, yet despite rising to 250ft height, (and then getting shot as a result!) I still had this message ……..any ideas why in that situation? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

31 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Thanks, I am just learning how to use the FCR and in this case, was masking behind trees and buildings to avoid an SA8. At first Inthought it was happening because the radar was still masked by the buildings and trees, yet despite rising to 250ft height, (and then getting shot as a result!) I still had this message ……..any ideas why in that situation? 

If you WAS the Lima Hellfires, and you have no targets on the FCR, you will get the 'LOS invalid' error.
Ensure you have targets on the FCR to avoid this message when using the FCR as a sight with the radar Hellfire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That must be it, I had done exactly that....so I need to find targets first, gotcha. Many thanks! 

Still having issues......made sure I had guns WAS'd, as CPG, and at a decent height above masking buildings, see screen grab. I can scan, but still see the LOS invalid message and no targets being picked up , even though they are right ahead.....

Screen_231230_111514.png

10 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Still having issues......made sure I had guns WAS'd, as CPG, and at a decent height above masking buildings, see screen grab. I can scan, but still see the LOS invalid message and no targets being picked up , even though they are right ahead.....

Screen_231230_111514.png

The indicated targets (C97, C98, and SA8 points) appear to be on the farther reaches of the FCR arc, judging from the TSD.

Non-moving targets will not be detected at ranges greater than six kilometers. The total range of the FCR in GTM is eight kilometers, therefore it will pick up only moving targets in the final quarter of its total scan distance. Additionally, it may also have trouble distinguishing targets with some ground clutter at these maximum theoretical ranges. If the enemies are located at the target points as shown in the TSD, you are likely too far and should move closer until they're in range.

EDIT: Your FCR also does not appear to be emitting, from your screenshot.

Edited by LorenLuke
  • Like 1

Hi, thanks, it was definitely on and regarding emitting -  I could make it scan and previously destroyed targets showed up as X's. How can I tell it is emitting? I know the targets in question were stationary &  approx 4 - 6 KM from using the laser range finder after George found and killed some that I could not see. But yes, they were in the town in and amongst houses, so ground clutter was a factor for sure. By this time I had found and got rid of the SA8, so had the luxury of being able to go higher (500ft) to help detection. 

So what is advised to get rid of the LOS invalid message? If it appears, does it simply mean that its scanned but cant see any targets? I cant find it being mentioned in any of the youtube guides I have been referring to either.......Despite the answers above I am still a bit unsure of what it signifies and how to deal with it. 

But thanks for all advice

Edited by markturner1960

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

So what is advised to get rid of the LOS invalid message? If it appears, does it simply mean that its scanned but cant see any targets?

In most situations, it means according to the last scan burst it has no valid targets. When the FCR does a scanburst, it makes a small database of what it has found and categorizes them. If it finds nothing, the database is empty and ergo there is no data, which in turn results in the invalid message. It's akin to the "cannot divide by 0" message you get with a calculator.

In other situations, like using a continuous scan and moving away or outside of the scan limits, you will get this message as well; in that context, it's telling you that the scan is invalid due to positional and/or azimuth mismatch errors with the sight. This message is just an indicator that comes with the FCR's operation and can be considered normal behavior.

As for using the FCR, the key to remember is that you don't have to use it all the time. It is an additional sensor to help you find targets, not a replacement for everything else at your disposal. If you can see the target with TADS (or someone else can), that should be the engagement method. If your position cannot reveal any known hostiles, then move and scan from a different perspective. Use a more narrow scan and adjust the elevation manually, particularly in uneven terrain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent, got it - thank you

18 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

I could make it scan and previously destroyed targets showed up as X's.

Just so you know, this is NOT what's happening. It doesn't indicate that an object was found by the FCR, nor that any particular object it does detect is destroyed. The 'X' indicators merely show 'a hellfire from this helicopter was shot at this location', whether that be a Kilo Hellfire LOBL shot with a laser or a Radar hellfire shot at a target found by the FCR.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...