4080 with pimax crystal

Hi guys, new flight addicted here, I need an advice for the gpu choice for my vr (I chose crystal). 4080 or 7900xtx? How do perform the nvidia? I’m aiming on the 4080 cause I read too many bad opinions on the amd, that apparently has problems with vr, and also nvidia perform better with less vram, but I need owner opinion. Other pc components are: 64gb of ram, and 7800x3d cpu, asus x670e moba. 

ps. The 4080 price over 7900xtx is not a problem, but I can’t afford a 4090, here in Europe start from 2000€, 700€ more than a 4080

Edited by Porco Rosso

• 5 weeks later...

I'm running an i9-13900k @5.6 with 64 GB DDR5 @ 6000, Asus TUF OC 4090, Samsung Pro 990 SSD and struggle to get 75 fps with an 8KX.  If I fly with the sun at my back and tree-top level - especially over towns the rate drops to the 40s.  I'm still trying to find settings that will improve this, but so far, I'm a bit disapponted with the lackluster perfomance considering the hardware is about as good as it gets...and don't get me started on what the 4090s are selling for these days.

I think you have to set your expectations. I have the Crystal and a 4070, can't justify the prices for a 4090, though many can on this forum 🙂

Quite happy though, I get around 50-60fps and the cockpit is so clear, the two biggest improvements were the multi-threading and the dynamic foveated rendering. My worst case is when flying low and I look at 90 degrees to my flight path, that IMO is when you could do with 120hz true fps.

As Gyster says, in VR, nothing will be perfect even with the deepest pockets!

- Michael

Intel Core i7 13700K | RTX 4070 | ASUS TUF Z690 | Pimax Crystal | Virpil/Warthog HOTAS

• 1 month later...

Hi Michael - could i ask what settings youre using. Im using the crystal with 4080 and it pauses sometimes, and quickly resumes back to where it should be. Not sure of its a tracking problem or a setting problem. Any help appreciated