group dead trigger question

hello,

im currently getting into the mission editor, because i want to build some coop missions for me and my wingman to fly. :D

however, im having some trouble getting a specific trigger to work. at one point in one of my missions i have a group dead trigger for some enemy SAMs that a friendly tank column is scripted to destroy halfway into the mission. but the trigger doesnt work; its a very simple " once group dead - SAMs - display message" trigger, but it doesnt work. i have several similar triggers in the mission, and they work just fine. so my question is:

does the player have to destroy the unit himself for these triggers to work, or be within a certain range when it happens?

also, but this is more of a piloting/weapons question - is there no way to lockon to targets in low-light conditions? i have noticed that the shkval targeting rarely works in night missions, and i cant figure out if theres a mode or some such that makes it work.

best regards, simon

I'm slightly confused sZimm so help me out with a clarification.. Are you trying to make a trigger that spawns new enemies or simply making a trigger to display a message noting when the SAM's were destroyed..

As for the Shval in low light ops... using your night vision along with adjusting your screens brightness and contrast will do the trick

CARRIER AIR WING EIGHT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BLACKLION 204

F-14D BuNo 163159

Fighter Squadron Two One Three

LCDR James "Rat" Trapp

http://www.cvw-8.org

thanks for the reply.

im trying to make a simple trigger that displays a message when the friendly tanks have killed the enemy SAMs. im using the once group dead trigger to do so.

but the message doesnt display when the SAMs are, in fact, dead. so i wondered if the group dead trigger was designed to only work on units that the player actually killed himself?

as for the shkval thing, i know how to use the NVGs but its like the lockon mechanism in the shkval only works in daylight - i was wondering if there was some kind of function in the shkval that enabled it to lockon even during night missions. (i want to make a mission where you have to shoot down another helicopter during the night, and its almost impossible without locking your target.)

Well as far as I've noticed triggers work no matter who takes the kill... I've made many missions with similar triggers and they have always worked for me so I don't know if I can help you on this or not.. And for the Shval I've never had a problem locking targets day or night.

As much I'd like to help you on this I don't know if I can :(... Hopefully someone over there at ED can get you past this

CARRIER AIR WING EIGHT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BLACKLION 204

F-14D BuNo 163159

Fighter Squadron Two One Three

LCDR James "Rat" Trapp

http://www.cvw-8.org

Group dead works, no matter how they die---but every one must be dead.

Go back and veryfy 1) group name. Rename it to be sure. Then make your trigger again.

You may want to just require the key sam units be dead---then if one jeep is hidden from fire and not getting killed, you still get the action.

In group dead EVERYONE must be dead.

best,

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Agreed with UhOh, assign the main units as dead and then trigger the message. That way one measly vehicle won't stop the message or whatever you have triggered from going thru.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

ok thx for the replies - it still doesnt work though - i have verified that all the units in the grp are dead, but for some reason it doesnt register. ill try scrapping the unit and starting over.

ok thx for the replies - it still doesnt work though - i have verified that all the units in the grp are dead, but for some reason it doesnt register. ill try scrapping the unit and starting over.

As much as it pains me to say it, this approach has saved me hours and hours and hours of frustration.

[edit]

The Shkval only locks on properly lit targets, being a daytime system only.