Decreased stuttering...but at a cost

MAThrasher

The good

In general, my system is performing fairly well.  I have a stutter about every 2 minutes of flying.  Not super bad, but enough that I want to improve it.  I had decided the best thing for me is to upgrade the CPU.  I want to go from a 12700k to a 14700k.  Before doing this, I decided to overclock just to see what would happen.  I bumped the p-cores to 5.1 and the e-cores to 4.0.  While doing this, I also noticed that my XMP was not enabled.  It must have been disabled when I did my last memory upgrade.  Making these changes improved things such that I now have a stutter every 8-10 minutes.  I am happy with that!

The bad

To monitor hardware temps, I downloaded a couple pieces of software to watch temps.  One of these was from a less than reputable source and had a virus.  I'm usually careful about where I download software, but I made a mistake this time.  I got a virus that was masquerading as McAfee.  It was constantly popping up and interrupting DCS.  I removed the hardware monitoring software, and the virus remained.  I reinstalled Windows (not a clean install) and the virus remained.  I then decided to pay $20 for Norton Utilities and see if it would remove it.  It indeed found the virus.  It was "Heur.AdvML.B".  Finding and removing this virus saved me many, many hours of rebuilding my system!!

• Like 2

Windows 11, GPU: RTX-4090, Ram: 32gb, CPU: 12700k, Headset: Varjo Aero