New "Combat" Race Track orbit option with tighter turns for fighters

The current racetrack orbit is has fighters making long slow lazy turns that take close to 3 minutes for the AI to complete the full 180 degree turn. Thats fine for heavies, but for combat aircraft is far too slow and means they take up way too much real estate (Pretty common to see ~16NM between legs which is way too much space). Comparatively, the circle orbit has a much tighter radios and only takes the ~60 seconds to complete a 180 degree turn and get to the reciprocal heading. In the Racetrack orbit planes will only bank too roughly 25 degrees in the turns. In the circle orbit they maintain 50 degrees of bank.

A new "Combat Racetrack" orbit with parameters tweaked to ensure the AI make their 180 turns much quicker would be great. May honestly just need to change the bank angle setting they use.

• Like 2

We could have a few more options. Orbits always turn left, which can be limiting. Why not a turn right option? Flights always stick together during the orbit when in a CAP situation they could split in to two flights so that there is always a radar looking at the expected threat direction.

Radius options are welcome as well, I wonder if instead of having a separate combat orbit option, we could add a turn radius input to the current orbit task?

Edited by Exorcet
  • Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

3 hours ago, Exorcet said:

We could have a few more options. Orbits always turn left, which can be limiting. Why not a turn right option? Flights always stick together during the orbit when in a CAP situation they could split in to two flights so that there is always a radar looking at the expected threat direction.

Radius options are welcome as well, I wonder if instead of having a separate combat orbit option, we could add a turn radius input to the current orbit task?

I thought about suggesting/requesting adding parameters to the current tasks, but I think that risks breaking older missions. Plus I think would make things a bit complicated for new mission makers trying to sort out the parameters. Entirely separate task keeps things a bit more straightforward I would think.

Having the flight split up would be really great actually.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chenstrap said:

I thought about suggesting/requesting adding parameters to the current tasks, but I think that risks breaking older missions. Plus I think would make things a bit complicated for new mission makers trying to sort out the parameters. Entirely separate task keeps things a bit more straightforward I would think.

That would definitely be a problem, though the ME has seen added option for ECM use and missile intercept range without causing problems. Only ED can say for sure what will work or what won't, but it seems like adding options would be in the realm of possibility.

However this is done though, it will be a great addition.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files