New to F16, TACAN and Course?

DimSim
Go to solution Solved by itn,

I'm new to the F16, coming most recently from the AV-8B Harrier.

I see the F16 has a classic EHSI down low, and a HSD page on the MFDs.

My questions, which are not entirely related to each other, are:

1. Is there any way to display the TACAN position and/or bearing on the HSD?
  2. Is there a way to display a course line at steering point on the HSD?

It seems strange to have a more modern HSD without those useful bits of info, forcing head down at times. If not present, is this coming in the future or not part of this jet model / block?

Edited by DimSim

• Solution
45 minutes ago, DimSim said:
  1. Is there any way to display the TACAN position and/or bearing on the HSD?
  2. Is there a way to display a course line at steering point on the HSD?

It seems strange to have a more modern HSD without those useful bits of info, forcing head down at times. If not present, is this coming in the future or not part of this jet model / block?

To both of the questions: No, not possible. As far as I know, not possible on the real jet either, but I might be wrong. Also, you didn't ask but no TACAN indications on the HUD either.

So it's quite a bit different than, for example, the Hornet. I assume this is an Air Force / Navy difference, where the AF just hasn't had the need for it, at least not enough to spend resources to add them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading the manual and Chuck's guide, I see there are steerpoints reserved for geographic lines. I wonder if they are ever used to assist with runway headings, or if they are always just used for things like borders and boundaries?

7 hours ago, DimSim said:

Reading the manual and Chuck's guide, I see there are steerpoints reserved for geographic lines. I wonder if they are ever used to assist with runway headings, or if they are always just used for things like borders and boundaries?

Geographic lines are most often used for borders and boundaries like you say, but you can really use it for whatever you want, it's just a matter of placing the steerpoints and dashed lines will be drawn between them. Geographic lines are not yet available in the DCS F-16C though. The only steerpoint types that really exist in DCS so far is navigational points and markpoints. Allegedly, other steerpoint types will be introduced with the DTC, and when the DTC releases is still unknown.

• Thanks 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante