Add FOLLOW command to ships/ground/infantry - and also rename the 'Distance', 'Elevation', 'Interval' to be more meaningful for all FOLLOW commands

Elphaba

as the title says.

The position keeping of units in a naval group is... let's just say awful, esp when the lead makes changes.

However a helo set to follow a naval unit does much better staying in position through the changes in heading.

Therefore it would be ideal if FOLLOW was added for all units (ground/naval/air/infantry) so that the group structure can be more accurately maintained.

Re: Labels

Distance - is the fore/aft or lateral? 

Interval - that doesn't even make sense with regards to follow - its obviously the opposite of distance but it's not clear from its nomenclature.

Now, trial and error will tell you that Distance is lateral and Interval is fore/aft in relation to the thing being followed, but it's just three labels that need changing and maybe a tooltip for each explaining them for users. 

Edited by Elphaba
  • Like 1

• Elphaba changed the title to Add FOLLOW command to ships/ground/infantry - and also rename the 'Distance', 'Elevation', 'Interval' to be more meaningful for all FOLLOW commands
  • 5 weeks later...

Haven’t been at the editor for a while, but pretty sure Distance = fore and aft of centreline of whatever it is following, negative values are behind, otherwise ahead.

Interval = left or right of centreline of whatever it is following, again a negative value will be to starboard, otherwise to port.

Elevation is self explanatory.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

6 hours ago, G.J.S said:

Haven’t been at the editor for a while, but pretty sure Distance = fore and aft of centreline of whatever it is following, negative values are behind, otherwise ahead.

Interval = left or right of centreline of whatever it is following, again a negative value will be to starboard, otherwise to port.

Elevation is self explanatory.

I know. That's not the point; I'm not bugging this just for the labels, but I'm also pointing out that the labels are terrible and don't help new people who are starting with the M.E. 

It is possible to know the answer but raise it as a problem still. 

4 hours ago, Elphaba said:

I know. That's not the point; I'm not bugging this just for the labels, but I'm also pointing out that the labels are terrible and don't help new people who are starting with the M.E. 

It is possible to know the answer but raise it as a problem still. 

I apologise 

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

15 minutes ago, G.J.S said:

I apologise 

No, it's fine. I just wanted to be clear. It's very confusing labelling and every user shouldn't have to work it out for themselves. 

All good! 🙂