Need Help with DCS Bios and Arduino Leonardo

Hey Folks,

As the title says and I'm going to try to give as much detail as possible.

Also, if anyone can suggest a site that may address this, please let me know, Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to build an external button/switch box so that I can have a little more hands free controls instead of clicking on cockpit buttons inside the DCS cockpit.

I have the latest version of Arduino IDE 2.3.2 installed for my Leonardo board.

The LED's on the board light up and I can run the tests from the IDE software and test the board - OK

The Windows Device Manager sees the board with no issues - OK

I went to Github and downloaded the current DCS BIOS software and placed in a script folder. Users/Me/Saved Games/DCS/Scripts.

I also downloaded DCS-BIOS Bridge tool.

I also Downloaded the BORT software and from there, I can cycle switches and see them change state in game.

From the screen shot, however, I cant get the board to talk or handshake with DCS BIOS.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Screen shot 3-18-2024.jpg

(Look at Screen Shot)

Edited by Archangel44

Posted (edited)

Thank you my friend.

I tried what you suggested and it seems like it wants to work but with this I believe my problem is I only have about 4 hours of web surfing on how to read, write and understand program coding.

I’m still using the Leonardo board but taking a different approach.

I’ll keep you posted.

Edited by Archangel44
Speelling airore

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 3:20 PM, No1sonuk said:

Try "DCSBIOS_DEFAULT_SERIAL" at the top.
I think the IRQ one doesn't work with the 32u4 processor in the Leonardo.

Hey brother,

I’ve got my little project done.

I know it may look like a high schooler protect but it is exactly the functions I was looking to add to my rig.

I used this type of board because it shows up in Windows as a “Human Interface Device” and it shows up in DCS.

I found a guy on YouTube showing how to make a button box with this board, I also had to download a copy of his sketch cuzz without it, I would be stuck.

https://youtu.be/wkY1NsbWj5I?si=4Aa7Gowuew-5vAm1

Thanks for your help. See the pictures.IMG_1878.jpeg

IMG_1873.jpeg

IMG_1874.jpeg

IMG_1877.jpeg

Edited by Archangel44

4 hours ago, No1sonuk said:

You might find this of interest:

Thank you for posting.

What I’m finding out is if I want to emulate through the DCS bios, I would be looking for a feedback.

This is what I’ve seen folks do when building say a, replica cockpit of a certain plane. In their home made cockpit, they lift the landing gear handle and they want their physical gear handle to light up like we see in the virtual cockpit.

This is a bit more than what I’m looking for but it was the first few instruction videos I saw.

That thread was made to demonstrate it was possible to use a Leonardo where a game controller interface was required, but also not "waste" any connections that could be used for feedback.  I chose that particular aircraft and light because it's a module very DCS player has access to as it's part of the basic free download.

There are a lot of controls that can be implemented with DCS-BIOS without making use of the feedback.  

The thing with the 32u4 Arduinos is that they can be made to emulate a joystick controller AND a keyboard that will show up in DCS's control binds screen.  That's not possible with a Nano or other non-32u4 based Arduino.  BUT, the 32u4s can ALSO make use of DCS-BIOS controls.

I'm not saying you should change all your Arduinos to one tpye, but you should consider that the original reason for having different types is to be able to choose the type you use based on what you want it to do.

Edited by No1sonuk

@No1sonuk 👍

Agreed, the microcontroller depends on your application. Most panels may be driven by Nanos but the deeper you dive into cockpit building the powerfuler your controllers need to be.

Look at the various applications with HID or the IPS Lcd displays. That's too much for the small and old Nano processors.

Regards, Vinc 

• Like 1

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you all for your help.

I was able to do exactly what I was wanting to do.

I installed another Leonardo board into the same project as I needed more switches.

I ran into an issue because Windows could not separate both boards at the same time. I found here in this forum a write up on naming and readdressing the boards.

Now I have both boards working at the same time.

Switch Panel and Lighting Panel.

IMG_1879.jpeg