Making a realistic / exciting ground battle

Hi, I wanted to set up a fairly decent sized land unit battle, with stuff like artillery firing, attacking and defending , that I can use my Apache in a CAS role for. 

Is this possible without days of work in the mission editor? Will too many units cause it to run like a dog? Whats possible practically and is there any guides etc on doing this or templates? 

Thanks

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

It will depend on how deep you want to go. You can give a few groups a route that has them push toward each other, then copy and paste them, and you'll pretty quickly have a large battle. But the two sides will just be charging at each other until one side is dead (or gets stuck where the other side can't see them).

A step up from that is to give the group multiple waypoints and then use the go to waypoint command to dynamically make them advance and retreat. The AI isn't going to do this intelligently, but it can increase their survival rate and prolong fighting.

This isn't something I've spent much time on as I usually limit my ground units to smaller numbers. You can have large battles, but your PC hardware will have to be factored in.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files