Recovery Tanker Task - when used, it's not possible to communicate with it

Go to solution Solved by TEMPEST.114,

I am trying to get the S3B to launch as support for a CAP/strike package. I have tried starting it in the air or takeoff from runway. I can't find any detailed instructions for this task, but the couple of YT videos make it look simple. Thing is, I cannot communicate with it. It doesn't appear on the comms menu as available, even when tuned (I've got easy comms on anyway)

I'm unsure what needs to be where in terms of waypoint commands, but I've tried issuing the Recovery tanker task on the 2nd of 2 WPs, the 1st & 2nd, and even the standard Refuelling task on 1 and Recovery on 2. It still refuses to make itself available on the radio. It might be something really stupid I'm missing I'm no ME expert but if anyone could take a look at my mission file I'd really appreciate it. 

SC Syria4.miz

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin

• Solution
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, FreightDog said:

I am trying to get the S3B to launch as support for a CAP/strike package. I have tried starting it in the air or takeoff from runway. I can't find any detailed instructions for this task, but the couple of YT videos make it look simple. Thing is, I cannot communicate with it. It doesn't appear on the comms menu as available, even when tuned (I've got easy comms on anyway)

I'm unsure what needs to be where in terms of waypoint commands, but I've tried issuing the Recovery tanker task on the 2nd of 2 WPs, the 1st & 2nd, and even the standard Refuelling task on 1 and Recovery on 2. It still refuses to make itself available on the radio. It might be something really stupid I'm missing I'm no ME expert but if anyone could take a look at my mission file I'd really appreciate it. 

SC Syria4.miz 22.46 kB · 2 downloads

I'm looking at it now, but just to warn you, if you upload a mission that has mods required - mention it in your post or remove them from a cut down version you share. 

As you're having a problem with just the recovery tanker then they shouldn't cause an issue; If I find something I'll post. 

ETA:

Okay, you've been confused by the nomenclature. 

1. You've added a 'Refuelling "REFUEL"' task - this tells the taker that it needs to refuel ITSELF from another tanker. As there isn't one, it's not doing anything.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 220918.png

Needless to say, that's a completely different task. Normally purely for fighters.

2. You're completely missing the instruction to tell it to BE a tanker.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 220838.png

3. You're also completely missing the instruction to tell it to BE a RECOVERY tanker - that's it's own dedicated task. It's here you specify the alt and speed AND the carrier it's supporting. This means it will continually follow and circle over the boat even as the boat moves about.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 220813.png

I've attached a demo mission that should show you how to set it up correctly.

It has the F14B in the client spot, but change that if you don't have the "best module in the sim". 😉

Recovery Tanker Working.miz

Edited by Elphaba
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for the response and all the info. I’m sorry I wasn’t aware it contained mods, I thought I had a clean build now, guess I need to look at that again.

I’m now away with my work but I’ll plug it all in when I’m back Friday. 
Also thanks for the link to the manual for the ME - I honestly didn’t know there were such manuals, I’ve only ever seen Chucks Guides and YT tutorials!!

• Thanks 1

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin

9 hours ago, FreightDog said:

Thank you so much for the response and all the info. I’m sorry I wasn’t aware it contained mods, I thought I had a clean build now, guess I need to look at that again.

Also thanks for the link to the manual for the ME - I honestly didn’t know there were such manuals, I’ve only ever seen Chucks Guides and YT tutorials!!

You are most welcome; I hope that fixes everything and you can continue building your mission. Let me know if you have any other questions about this or have problems with my test mission. 

9 hours ago, FreightDog said:

Check this one out too: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/4d8/5gdqjpoo0xuag41yxpwhoueev5lpsqno/DCS_Supercarrier_Operations_Guide_EN.pdf

And be very cautious with YT tutorials; just like all social media, there is a lot of misinformation out there disguised as real information; it's hard for non-experts to discern the difference. Just the other day someone was copying a well known YouTuber on mission creation and was using UNIT INSIDE MOVING ZONE so completely wrong that it didn't even make logical sense, but that's what the YouTuber said, so it must be right, right?

Always go to the source's books to start with. Good lesson for real life too I suppose. 🙂

Edited by Elphaba