Quest 2 link cable showing up as USB 2 only?

Recently purchased this Syntech Link Cable for the Quest 2. In general it works with minimal output issues and the stability is quite smooth; a big improvement over Air Link. It does seem to hold its charge for a while, and after around 45 or so minutes it drops down to around 89% battery (it claims to hold the charge at 78%).

My only problem is in the Meta Quest software, it shows that it apparently is showing up as a USB 2 device.

I have tried just about all available USB 3 ports on my motherboard, which include USB 3.2 Gen 2 and USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports. Motherboard is an ASRock  X670E PG Lightning.

Is there anything I can check to ensure this is working at proper USB 3 speeds? I assume if it is running at USB 2 speeds quality may not be as it could be.

Quest link cable (1).jpg

Quest link cable (2).jpg

I do have it set to 120Hz, though I am wondering if it works fully if it thinks I am using a USB 2 cable.

Hi Flogger - if you're on v64 headset software, it made some power changes which has affected the use of some cables. Assuming your cable is definitely USB 3 capable, a couple of things worth a go;

Try reversing the USB C ends of the cable (flipping upside down and swapping ends between headset and PC)

Try unplugging the USB cable at the computer end (leave headset end connected) then reboot headset, then re connect the cable at the PC - or - leave the PC end connected, reboot headset, then reconnect.

You may need to repeat the process if you restart the headset with everything connected and/or if the headset end of the usb cable gets disconnected.

It's really annoying (especially if using many headsets in a classroom environment) but at least it cures it for all cables I've tested.

Posted (edited)

The speed test Aapje mentioned, but also my test is not available on version 65. His cable is a USB 3.0 Type A to C with a plug in power adapter in the middle, so he can't reverse it back to PC. If you're not having any issues, it may just be that Meta software is reading the cable incorrectly.

Edited by Maddaawg

Meta Quest 3, Intel i9-10900K, EVGA 3080Ti FTW3, Corsair 64GB DDR4 3200, ASUS ROG Strix z-490-E Gaming, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M2 NVME Windows 11 Drive, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M2 NVME Game Drive

On 5/14/2024 at 11:56 PM, Aapje said:

See the USB test in the bottom right of the second picture? Use that to determine what speed you are actually getting.

Getting this error:

error.jpg

Though it generally works well when using it with DCS; better than Air Link at least. Minimal interruptions. Though I feel like it could be more stable so something must not be right and maybe the quality isn't as good as it can be?

18 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

Hi Flogger - if you're on v64 headset software, it made some power changes which has affected the use of some cables. Assuming your cable is definitely USB 3 capable, a couple of things worth a go;

Try reversing the USB C ends of the cable (flipping upside down and swapping ends between headset and PC)

Try unplugging the USB cable at the computer end (leave headset end connected) then reboot headset, then re connect the cable at the PC - or - leave the PC end connected, reboot headset, then reconnect.

You may need to repeat the process if you restart the headset with everything connected and/or if the headset end of the usb cable gets disconnected.

It's really annoying (especially if using many headsets in a classroom environment) but at least it cures it for all cables I've tested.

The software and headset should be updated to the latest version as of two days ago. Tried rebooting the headset a few times, still get the same results.

For the USB C end, it is a Type C where it connects to the headset but Type A for the motherboard.

Posted (edited)

i get that error the first time i run the test. if i click ok then test again, it will work for me

I'd still try flipping the USB-C end at the headset (even if it means it's pointing forward)

Tried rebooting the headset a few times, still get the same results. <-- with the PC end disconnected and the headset end connected?

still wouldn't be the first time someone has had a faulty link cable. I've had a couple faulty from new.

Edited by Dogmanbird

17 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

i get that error the first time i run the test. if i click ok then test again, it will work for me

I'd still try flipping the USB-C end at the headset (even if it means it's pointing forward)

Tried rebooting the headset a few times, still get the same results. <-- with the PC end disconnected and the headset end connected?

still wouldn't be the first time someone has had a faulty link cable. I've had a couple faulty from new.

I tried reversing the USB C on the headset end. Though I am not sure if I rebooted the headset. Not sure if I did it with the PC end disconnected and only the headset end connected, will have to double check that.