Evading Optically Guided Missiles?

Buznee

I was curious, with the rising popularity and implementation of optically guided missiles both for SAMs and aircraft equipped armament, has there been development and use of new forms of counter measures for this sort of guidance since flares and chaff are no longer relevant. Obviously you can still try to maneuver on the edge of the SAMs range and bleed off the energy of the missile. Also with the new optical tracking is there any way in detecting a launch and warning the pilot of an incoming missile?

Direct Infra Red Counter-Measures (DIRCM).

Ie. 'blind that sucker with a laser'.

There are systems that can detect missile launches regardless of guidance method, but they have some caveats.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

"New" tactics can be applied too. They called it "smart" flying in some recent military use. Fly high and fast around defended areas works really good against all kind of air defenses including optically guided SAM ...

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit