Need help with recent crash, please

Pete-W

Hi all,

I hate to be posting just because i have a problem, but i need some help.

I've only just recently had some time to get in to Black Shark, fantastic sim btw :) and i didnt have too many probs before but a week ago i had to replace my video card. The 9800GTX i had died on me, and since it wasnt in the budget for an upgrade i got a GTS250 because it is supposed to be the equivelant just with a new name.

I had a crash the other day in Black Shark, i cant remember the circumstances on that one but i still have the crash file and ive had 3 others that were during night flying with NVG's. At first the screen locks up then goes black for a few seconds then the screen comes back over a few more seconds bits at a time...........the first time that happened i let it go and kept flying then the same thing happened again within minutes and probably about the 3rd time it crashed.

I wasnt able to save a track file, because the LastMissionTrack.trk file was the previous mission without any crash.........but the last time it happened i exited and managed to save the track file but i dont know if anyone was to look at it if it would show what happened.

I thought maybe something was wrong with the video card at first, or possibly heat related so i decided to try something that would give it a fair old slapping around and fired up Crysis but it ran without any probs. Dont get me wrong i'm not saying because Crysis ran ok that Black Shark should, i just wanted to try something else that was demanding on the system.

I'm running NVidia 196.21 drivers............i've tried uninstalling them but i cant, they just keep reloading after a reboot, even in safe mode.

OS is win 7 ultimate 32 bit build 7100

Antivirus is Bitdefender Internet Security 2010 and i run it game mode when gaming.

PC specs are

I7 920

Asus P6t Deluxe v2 - bios 0704

3 gig Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D

Gigabyte GTS250 1GB

650 watt Thermaltake Toughpower

Audigy 2ZS

G15 Keyboard

Nothing is overclocked. Well the video card is a factory overclocked version, i dont know if that counts as any overclocking.

I cant think of any other info to include, so if i have left anything out please let me know. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Pete Wingard

EDIT : update is that after reading through Frazer's tweak guide, and making a few changes suggested in it i managed a 47 minute flight with NVG's............guide can be found here http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=821932#post821932 so fingers are crossed the problem is fixed.

crash files.rar

error files.rar

DxDiag.rar

Edited by Pete-W

Pretty good summary, Pete.

I had a crash the other day in Black Shark, i cant remember the circumstances on that one but i still have the crash file and ive had 3 others that were during night flying with NVG's. At first the screen locks up then goes black for a few seconds then the screen comes back over a few more seconds bits at a time...........the first time that happened i let it go and kept flying then the same thing happened again within minutes and probably about the 3rd time it crashed.

By the description you give it sounds like the Nvidia recovered from a crash a few times without crashing (back in the old days it would have Bluescreened on you there I think).

I cant see anything uspicious with your components in the DXdiag - the crash files indicate a DirectX crash - so a contributing factor is your grpahics / drivers.

Keep us updated if you managed to solve your problem or not. :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Hi Panzertard,

Thanks for taking the time to check it out for me, it seems i wasted your time though........just a few simple changes in the NVidia profile and now no problems at all.

I changed a couple of things in the options.lua and graphics.cfg files as suggested by Frazer's guide, but whether or not those changes had any impact on the problem is something i cant say for sure. I'm pretty sure the changes Frazer has in his guide for the profile in the NVidia control panel are what fixed it.

Pretty good summary, Pete.

I tried to include what i thought was relevant :)

By the description you give it sounds like the Nvidia recovered from a crash a few times without crashing (back in the old days it would have Bluescreened on you there I think).

It was a funny sort of crash........because even though it went to the end of mission menu, Black Shark continued to be usable but at that point i didnt want to push the envelope until i could work out what might have happened.

Thanks again for checking it out and taking the time to reply, i appreciate your help :thumbup:

Now where's my Cougar i have some serious flying to do :)