Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

FC2 CTD on start up

TexasBread

Hello,

I've just installed a clean copy of lock on and FC2 and when I try to start the game clicking on the multiplayer icon the splash screen comes up and then crashes and doesnt give me any error messages (It just says FC2 has stopped working). I can start the game in singleplayer but when I try to start a mission it crashes on the same splash screen. I've tried reinstalling, running as admin, compatibility mode, update my drivers. At this point I don't know what else to do.

My rig:

Vista 32 bit

Nvidia 250 GTS 1GB

4GB ram

Quad core 2.8Ghz

Did you install the patch? What about the .error and .crash?

I installed the patch and I dont get any error messages... Just FC2 has stopped working.

Please see:

Locations of the \Temp folder may vary:

* All platforms - custom install location: <YourDrive>:\<your custom location>\LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2\Temp

* XP/2003: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2\Temp

* Vista / Win 7 with "default permissions" on the system / UAC on:

32 bit editions: C:\Users\<users>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files\Eagle Dynamics\LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2\Temp

64 bit editions: C:\Users\<users>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progra m Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\LockOn Flaming Cliffs 2\Temp

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Texas, the sim is trying to get your username to insert into a config (first time setup of MP/SP etc) - but it cannot.

What you can try is to:

- Install into a different directory, outside program files, ex: C:\Games\Eagle Dynamics

- Remember to use an Admin to install the game.

Normally you shouldn't have this problem - perhaps you have some security software on your PC that prevents FC2 from operating properly?

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Texas, the sim is trying to get your username to insert into a config (first time setup of MP/SP etc) - but it cannot.

What you can try is to:

- Install into a different directory, outside program files, ex: C:\Games\Eagle Dynamics

Normally you shouldn't have this problem - perhaps you have some security software on your PC that prevents FC2 from operating properly?

I don't have any security and the first time I installed I installed into program files and didn't work. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled outside of program files into the C drive

From what I can see the problem happens when FC2 asks "Windows, tell me the username so I can insert it into the MP config".

This works in normal Vista/Windows 7 - tested it quite much.

And you dont have any security software that blocks such requests.

Now, I wonder - have you set FC2 to always run as admin/compatability mode? This means it could be running under a "anon account", there is no username to find - hence it crashes.

If thats the case - set everything back to normal and try again.

Further - now it's time to temporary disable UAC - while starting the game for the first time.

- Disable UAC, reboot.

- Run SP once.

- Run MP once.

- Return UAC to normal settings. Reboot

- Recheck MP to see if it's normal this time.

I don't have any security and the first time I installed I installed into program files and didn't work. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled outside of program files into the C drive

Hm, and you said \Temp was empty? You had to dig into \Virtualstore .... to find the .Crash file?

If so - then there's conflicting information in what you say.

If you install under \Program Files - all changes will go to \Virtualstore

If you install outside the protected \Program Files in a user-created folder (such as "C:\Games") all changes should be stored there.

From what I can see the problem happens when FC2 asks "Windows, tell me the username so I can insert it into the MP config".

This works in normal Vista/Windows 7 - tested it quite much.

And you dont have any security software that blocks such requests.

Now, I wonder - have you set FC2 to always run as admin/compatability mode? This means it could be running under a "anon account", there is no username to find - hence it crashes.

If thats the case - set everything back to normal and try again.

Further - now it's time to temporary disable UAC - while starting the game for the first time.

- Disable UAC, reboot.

- Run SP once.

- Run MP once.

- Return UAC to normal settings. Reboot

- Recheck MP to see if it's normal this time.

DUDE! It worked!! Thank you so freakin much for your help!!! :megalol::beer: