patch 1.0.2 disables nvg

bigdog4215

I took a look and I see the problem in game mode, that doesn't seem to want to play ball at all. The black area you see is coming from the graphic file focus_2.bmp, which acts as a 'mask' (it identifies the area the NVG green display routine is meant to be applied to). Since it's not running it, it's just displayed as-is which is mostly black. I've tested inverting it, but changing that file won't bring the code into working.

I'm not a shader developer myself, but it looks like further tweaking would require the shader code to be rewritten (the text from the files I posted in code blocks above are assembly language codes for shaders, these are almost machine level instructions before they become unreadable to humans).

So to get to a summary and a solution that works with game mode as well for you, I think you're down to 2 final options I'm afraid:

1) Use 1.0.1c for single player, and 1.0.2 just for multiplayer / non-game mode.. you would lose some of the new features as a result of this, but some of those aren't working for you anyway, it's a trade-off.

2) Upgrade the graphics card (though judging by your other thread, it may need to be more than just the card). You need one that is at fully DirectX 9.0c compatible as in the chart I linked to, to be sure of running all the graphics correctly. Again, I'm unsure, but would expect at least the same requirements would be forthcoming in DCS:A-10C too.

Since the game's minimum specs require DX9.0 compatible graphics, it's unlikely to be accepted by ED as a bug in the new patch. It doesn't mean it can't be fixed (it used to work before anyway I presume, and if someone knows shader coding enough it could be modified), just that the game isn't now requiring different hardware than was already listed so isn't a fault per se.

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

Stop the press!

I am, if nothing else, horribly tenacious. If you're willing to try one last thing, you can give v2 retro hack a spin, which for me at least is showing green nvg's in both simulation and game modes, and if the file I've created is to be believed, using only pixelshader version 2.0 which your card claims to support.

This uses the 1.0.2 blackshark vertexshader file supplied by ED too instead of a hacked one, so with this version of my retro-hack only one of the two files is changing, but I've provided them both in the zip to make it easy to just copy them in and replace what you're using now.

I hope this one works for you, my card will handle above PS2.0 so I can't be entirely sure myself but I expect it to behave.

Here's the actual changes highlighted for anyone curious:

ps.[color=red]2[/color].0

def c0, 0.1, 10.0, 0.0, 10.0
def c1, 0.3, 0.59, 0.01, 1.0
def c3, 6.0, 11.0, 6.0, 1.0

[color=red]dcl t0.xyzw ;_texcoord0 t0 ;tex coord[/color]

dcl_2d s0 ;diffuse map
dcl_2d s1 ;noise mask
dcl_2d s2 ;main mask
dcl_2d s3 ;mask (HZ nahua nuzhna)

;sample maps
texld r0, [color=red]t0[/color], s0
mov r5, r0
texld r1, [color=red]t0[/color], s2
texld r2, [color=red]t0[/color], s3

;generate tc & sample noise mask
mul r3, [color=red]t0[/color], c0.w
texld r4, r3, s1

dp3 r0, r0, c1
mul r0, r0, c2.y
mul r2, r0, r4
add r0, r2, r0
mul r0, r0, c3

lrp r0, r1, r0, r5

mov oC0, r0

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, but remember, if this doesn't work you really are going to be back to the 2 options I outlined in the last post of mine.

The pic just shows the nvg off (left) and on (right) with this change in place, in game-mode. I checked it in simulation-mode too, was ok there too.

retro_nvg_3.jpg.23ebbc4e911a679445ad86f42a3036a5.jpg

nvg_retro-hack_v2.zip

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]