How do I put my wingman to use (A-10 Campaign)?

kRush

Seems like I can't get my AI buddy to blow up stuff. Ideally I would want to designate specific ground targets for him to engage, but no matter what I try he won't do it.

Lock sth. with a Maverick, order him to engage.. nothing. Trying to padlock sth., order to engage.. nothing (which is already nuts because it gives me zero standoff distance).

Even if I just order him to generally engage ground targets he just flies of in the opposite direction never to be seen of again unless I order him to rejoin.

So how is this supposed to work? Right now he's just a pricey SAM distraction, funny to watch at times but not very immersive. :joystick:

Yeah, he is pretty useless. Sometimes he can be made useful by flying towards the target point until he calls out that he's spotted air defence targets, then break off to give you both some distance, and command him to engage air defences. If you're lucky, he'll use his Mavericks to take out at least some of the AAA or SAMs near the target area, which will make the mission a bit easier.

Often though he'll go after the long-range SAM site miles and miles away, and get himself killed in the process.

You can also try ordering him to engage the objective and rejoin. That tends to have a better chance of keeping him within the area.

For the most part I just had him do "something" and then he left him to it, and felt a kind of sense of relief when he got shot down. Missions I make for myself I never have a wingman, as I find it usually decreases the immersion.

My wingman used to be useful when I order him to "go mission and rejoin". Up until now.....after I installed Gys A10/F15/Su27 model package he's gone whacko. First mission I tried, I ordered him to attack, and instead he flew back to base. The second time, he got shot up and returned to base, but he never stopped after he landed....he kept rolling (with the nose gear pointed in the air) off the runway, and then exploded....

This game seems half-assed. Though I enjoy it because it's the only decent combat sim around.