Turning the X65F ministick into proper axis

I'm going to post here a way to make the mini-stick in the Saitek X65F into two proper axis visible to any game. I don't know how many are going to find this useful since most are happy using it trough bands. The mini-stick is not great i admit, it has a resolution of only 4 bits(0-15), but i still find it better than using it has a hat through bands.

To make it work one of the other axis must be removed, in my case i removed the upper rotary("Rotary 1") axis. It should be possible to remove the rudder axis instead, for people with pedals, i haven't tried yet.

And has a side effect, this fix make the dual throttle in the X65F work individually for two engines planes in Lock-on FC2 and Black Shark. :)

I will attach REG files that change the necessary values in the registry, the 'x65f_ministickFIX.reg' turns the ministick in two axis and removes the Rotary 1.

The 'x65f_ministickFIX_Uninstall.reg' put the original values back to default.

DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, ONLY TESTED IN WINDOWS 7 X86 (32B) AND WITH THE LATEST DRIVER FROM SAITEK(NOT THE BETAS)

Hope this help the GIANT numbers of... a couple of people... who have the X65F. :P

Something like that should be possible for the X52 too, from what i searched around they have a similar, if not identical, mini-stick. But since i don't have one, can't try.

----------------------------------------

EDIT: I added a new zip('X65F_REGFIX_v2.zip') file that contains different reg files for every axis you may what to remove to add the two axis to the mini-stick, Rotary 1 and 2; Left and Right Throttle; and the Twist Rudder. And another reg file for these who want to use the dual-throttle individually but without the mini-stick fix ('x65f_dualthrottleFIX.reg').

x65f_fix.zip

X65F_REGFIX_v2.zip

Edited by Le0kong
  • Like 4

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8@3360 MHz | MB Asus M4A78-EM | 4GB DDR2-800 Kingston | XFX HD 5770 @850-900/1200-1300 | 500G Samsung HD502HI | Case CM 335 | CM-EPP 460W | Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) | Saitek X65F | Freetrack(Wii Remote) | LG 23' W2353V

Thanks so much! I have been itching for a way to make the ministick an axis for a while now. Rep inbound!

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

Please report if it works, or if breaks something.

And another thing i forgot to mention on the first post, this is the second time a had to fix this stick... Out of the box it already had one hat and two buttons not working, i had to open it and fix a cable that connect them... Saitek still haven't answered mail email...

AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8@3360 MHz | MB Asus M4A78-EM | 4GB DDR2-800 Kingston | XFX HD 5770 @850-900/1200-1300 | 500G Samsung HD502HI | Case CM 335 | CM-EPP 460W | Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) | Saitek X65F | Freetrack(Wii Remote) | LG 23' W2353V

Questions...

Do I need a certain profile activated in order for the axes to work? Should the ministick axes be set to "Fall Back" or "Unprogrammed" or just left as the default?

Do I need to re-plug the X65F after applying the registry changes? Or should it work immediately?

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

*You probably will want to leave at least one mode in the Profile Editor as "Unprogrammed" so nothing interfere with the mini-stick axis. If you use the mini-stick as mouse unfortunately the axis and the mouse will work at the same time. The Profile Editor from Saitek don't expect the mini-stick to have any axes so this can't be changeed/disable from it.

*After applying the reg fix it should change instantly, only the software or game needs to opened and closed for it to take effect.

Axis #7 (the new axis added by the reg file) works, but the axis I replace does not. I can do this a hundred different ways and it all comes out the same: Add a ministick axis, it works. Replace an axis with a ministick axis, it does not.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Are you using the reg files exactly as i posted or did you changed the axis to be removed?

If you tried to change it unfortunately is seems you can't just swap them, there is some kind of pattern in how they can be changed, i am still trying to find that for the other axis other than the "Rotary 1".

I've tried both your original reg files and I've tried changing them. I run the uninstall reg file between each change.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Can you confirm on the Saitek Control Painel if the driver version is '6.8.0.49'? And what OS you are using/32or64bits?

Are you testing it in a ED simulator or in something else? Don't test from inside the Saitek Contrl Painel(it takes the axis info in a different way). A quick way to test is using this small aplication from the end of this page("Poswdm Utility") when you move the mini-stick, the "rX" and "rY" values should change from 0 to 65535.

I tried using the reg fix in another computer on a clean install and it worked right away... I will try tomorrow in other computers and see if there some problem.

64-bit Win7 and the driver version is actually 6.8.0.52, not 49. Think that means they shuffled the axes around in the registry?

I'm testing it using DCS: Black Shark, not the Saitek program.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

6.8.0.52 is the "software"(the Profile Editor) version, the driver it self is 6.8.0.49. So we are using the same.

Anyway, i tried with the beta driver in another computer and the fix work too, with no need to change anything.

The only difference now that i can think of is you're using Windows 64bits, or maybe if you have something else from Saitek installed, like the pedals. I don't have any computer around with Windows 64bits installed to test.

If you know how to work with the registry editor and want to try further, you could try changing all instances of the key "Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes" to the same way as in the reg fix, there more of them other then in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER root, try these:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxx\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_0B6A\Axes

Axis #7 (the new axis added by the reg file) works, but the axis I replace does not. I can do this a hundred different ways and it all comes out the same: Add a ministick axis, it works. Replace an axis with a ministick axis, it does not.

Try adding additional axis #8 and mapping "sacrificed" axis to it. #8 won't be seen by games, but adding it will likely allow to assign one ministick axis to #0-#6.

If you tried to change it unfortunately is seems you can't just swap them, there is some kind of pattern in how they can be changed, i am still trying to find that for the other axis other than the "Rotary 1".

These registry keys map axis reported by driver to DirectInput axis. Arbitary combination is not always possible (i.e. you can't just skip axis and order is usually important).

---

If someone wants to get IDs of axis, they can try opening Saitek profile with notepad. IDs are in it. For example:

[axis=0x00010036 name='Precision Slide']

In registry it should be used as:

01 81 00 00 01 00 36 00

---

I have attached registry file for "classic" X52. Ruder twist axis is "sacrificed" for ministick in it.

x52_ministick.zip

• Like 1

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

Thanks so much, i just tried again and finally got a way to remove the rudder or one of the throttles. It seems that the only thing necessary to make the dual throttles work in BS is to move one of them to a slider axis.

I can't believe someone already know how to do that, since i got the stick i look through years of forums archives in found nothing.

I will update the reg files later.

EDIT: Now that i looked again the 'pr0' files it seems it may be possible to create some kind of profile to disable the ministick axis depending of the mode you choose.

EDIT 2: First post updated.

Edited by Le0kong

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks LeOkong for the work on this.

Most interested in getting the dual throttle to work in FC2 and Blackshark. My controllers install in a Win7 x64 machine with CH rudder pedals.

You'll have to excuse me for some pretty basic questions (and they are). To enable the duel throttles I need to run the x65f_dualthrottleFix.reg file. Does this disable any other axis from the standard controllers? i.e the twist rudder or something else?

And to put things back to orginal, just run the x65f_REGFix_Uninstall?

I know enough to back up before anything else (and I do), but just checking to see if I understand.

For some reason i can't edit my original post so a will put the updated files on this post for now.

To enable the duel throttles I need to run the x65f_dualthrottleFix.reg file. Does this disable any other axis from the standard controllers? i.e the twist rudder or something else?.

The last regfix(2.1) that i uploaded the dual throttle fix don't remove any axis, but it has a side effect of turning one of the mini stick axis into a real axis, this is not a problem as long as you don't assing it to anything on the options, doing that it won't interfere with the mouse or bands you may have created on the Profile Editor. Just remember to reassign all axis in the options since some of them may became swapped.

And to put things back to orginal, just run the x65f_REGFix_Uninstall?

Yes. (Is not really a uninstaller, it just put the register values back to the originals from the drivers)

I know enough to back up before anything else (and I do), but just checking to see if I understand.

Just make sure you are using the Saitek drivers(either from the CD or from their website) and not the default one from windows. For the fix there nothing to backup really, if things go wrong you may need to reinstall the drivers. I haven't been able to test it on a x64 windows yet.

thanks,it worked
Can you tell me what Windows version are you using (32 or 64 bits) and what fix did you used?

X65F_REGFIX_V2.1.zip

Edited by Le0kong
  • Like 2

Good call le0kong +1 inb.

Bullet

I7 4790K running at 4390 with a gigabyte board with 16 gigs of ram with an Asus gtx 660-ti and 2 tb of hard drive space on 2 wd hard drives. A X-65F Hotas with trackir4 and pro combat peddles. A kick butt home built machine unfortunately running a windows 7 OS.

• 3 months later...

Windows Vista 64 bit. I have the 6.8.0.52 SST and 6.8.0.49 drivers, and your no rudder fix seemed to make my stick unprogrammable, even after doing the uninstall. That doesn't make much sense after looking at your registry entries, they are exactly the same as mine now that I reinstalled the drivers and the stick programming works again.

Strange. I'll try again later, I'd really like that mini stick to be useful for something, and I have rudder pedals so the twist-axis on the stick is useless to me.

However, I will note that your no rudder ministick fix DID in fact enable the ministick as two axes that A-10C could use. The stick just became unprogrammable.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

I did something wrong, I think, I got it working now. Thanks Le0king!!!!!!!!

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

• 7 months later...

I have attached registry file for "classic" X52. Ruder twist axis is "sacrificed" for ministick in it.

Thank you Le0Kong and ZaltysZ, this is exactly what I have been trying to achieve for my standard X52. It is working perfectly for me in BMS4.32 on Win7 x64.

I found that the main key was in the same place as shown in your reg file but (not suprisingly) I had different VID_#, OEMName, ConfigCLSID and OEMData values so I added the additional keys and values manually.

Thanks again,

Tom

Edited by at0m

• 2 months later...

Wow. Rearranging the axiis would be very beneficial, as well as disabling some axiis. Flanker doesn't seem to recognize the X-65f properly for dual throttles. And Eidos JSF crashes with the X-65f immediately. JSF and Longbow 2 also do not allow PPjoy and GlovePIE for rearranging axiis as they don't recognize Windows preferred joystick setting. They always default to the first axis.

X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick

• 3 weeks later...

Would you mind doing a version of this with just X, Y, rudder and the left throttle active, with the rotaries and right throttle both invisible? Some sims, like Eidos JSF don't seem to like so many but appear fine with just the important four.

I'm going to post here a way to make the mini-stick in the Saitek X65F into two proper axis visible to any game. I don't know how many are going to find this useful since most are happy using it trough bands. The mini-stick is not great i admit, it has a resolution of only 4 bits(0-15), but i still find it better than using it has a hat through bands.

To make it work one of the other axis must be removed, in my case i removed the upper rotary("Rotary 1") axis. It should be possible to remove the rudder axis instead, for people with pedals, i haven't tried yet.

And has a side effect, this fix make the dual throttle in the X65F work individually for two engines planes in Lock-on FC2 and Black Shark. :)

I will attach REG files that change the necessary values in the registry, the 'x65f_ministickFIX.reg' turns the ministick in two axis and removes the Rotary 1.

The 'x65f_ministickFIX_Uninstall.reg' put the original values back to default.

DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, ONLY TESTED IN WINDOWS 7 X86 (32B) AND WITH THE LATEST DRIVER FROM SAITEK(NOT THE BETAS)

Hope this help the GIANT numbers of... a couple of people... who have the X65F. :P

Something like that should be possible for the X52 too, from what i searched around they have a similar, if not identical, mini-stick. But since i don't have one, can't try.

----------------------------------------

EDIT: I added a new zip('X65F_REGFIX_v2.zip') file that contains different reg files for every axis you may what to remove to add the two axis to the mini-stick, Rotary 1 and 2; Left and Right Throttle; and the Twist Rudder. And another reg file for these who want to use the dual-throttle individually but without the mini-stick fix ('x65f_dualthrottleFIX.reg').

X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

• 2 weeks later...

And another thing:

Do you know of any method to force older sims to see or use the HOTAS you want them to see, even if they can't recognize Windows Preferred Joystick setting?