When to use CAS, CAP, SEAD

Drooper

The following question,

When do you contact CAS, CAP or SEAD in the GH campaign and when let you move out ground troops. (Texas, Elm or whatever what name)

Sometimes ground troops die even when I did all JTAC assignments.

So far, I have called in SEAD and CAS as soon as possible and CAP as soon as AWACS warned me of hot bandits closer than 30 nm.

Concerning the ground units movement: I usually carefully look at the mission briefing map and identify all potential ground threats on the corresponding ground units path. Then I note down the coordinates of all potential threats to the advancing friendly units and/or set my target waypoints accordingly (usually I note down the coordinates of one ground threat per group and remember the relative positions of the others). When flying the mission I usually don't call the JTAG and attack the ground threats identified in the briefing directly. After all of them have been destroyed, I command the ground units to advance and call the JTAG for further tasking if I still have some weapons left.

Edited by Waxi

The ground units your assigned to protect also show up as 'x' on your TAD. The 'x's will move real time. If you need to get an quick update on where they are, you can hook them in your TAD and slew TGP to get an idea of their current situation. That might not help to save them, but gives you more situational awareness.

I normally call in SEAD asap. They need time to find and destroy AAA and SAMS.

I only use the CAS if my wingman dies and I still have lots of targets left or my flight has used all ammunition and there are still targets left.

I call in CAP once I'm over or near target area.

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules