What's your longest range kill dropping a bomb from the A-10C?

topol-m

Well, you can actually do toss-bombing and it's fairly easy to do, but the bomb won't go all that far. But far enough to be potentially useful - particularly if you have reason to stay as low as possible for as long as possible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Yep, something close to him, on the DAM mission. First time I played it through I got killed at various altitudes, so I just went as high as my engines would take me. Needless to say it took a good 2 minutes to turn around 180 degrees at that altitude. Any sudden movement causes you to roll inverted and start falling. But you can go to the bathroom and be back in time to watch the bomb hit from that high. :) Took long, but it also helped find targets at that height, not too close.

About 15-20 min, depending on loadout.

Never if you're hauling more than one weapon per pylon, or really heavy weapons. ;)

Angels 32, jesus man I do not want to know how long it took you to get there...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

hmm I expected slightly longer range kills, must test with high speed and say just 2 bombs of loadout.

Hah. That WAS at high speed. One Paveway II, one Litening pod, and I did everything else except strip the paint off her to lighten the load... If you want longer stand-off range I think you are going to need a Paveway III. A launch vehicle capable of imparting more energy to the weapon at point of release would be required as well.

Here is an article that talks about the longest flight of a Paveway II achieving 12 nm range, dropped from a USN F/A-18 at China Lake test range. http://www.spacedaily.com/news/gps-05zzzl.html

Too bad we don't have an F/A-18 in the DCS world to try that eh? :)

Edited by lobo**

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Hah. That WAS at high speed. One Paveway II, one Litening pod, and I did everything else except strip the paint off her to lighten the load... If you want longer stand-off range I think you are going to need a Paveway III. A launch vehicle capable of imparting more energy to the weapon at point of release would be required as well.

Here is an article that talks about the longest flight of a Paveway II achieving 12 nm range, dropped from a USN F/A-18 at China Lake test range. http://www.spacedaily.com/news/gps-05zzzl.html

Too bad we don't have an F/A-18 in the DCS world to try that eh? :)

Hey thanks for the info. +1 for the Hornet ;) Too bad we don't have SDB either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With one GBU-12 and the TGP loaded with 28% fuel and no gun rounds I headed for the skies.

Once the altimeter hit 35000 the game crashed. This should probably be looked into if I can replicate it. On a side note, isn't there a crash file created somewhere? I can't remember where to find it. First crash in ages :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]