Modeling process for DCS

BlueRidgeDx

I'm looking for info about the process for getting models into DCS, but 90% of the search results are for LO/FC, and the bulk of the remainder is in Russian. Can anyone point me toward some more useful English language information?

I am familiar with 3ds Max, and I have an appropriate version compatible with the current EDM tools. The EDM tools are installed and functional as per LuckyBob's short tutorial. I have a model with several LODs, and I want to import it as a ground object.

So my questions are:

How are LODs handled during the export process?

Can the DCS engine handle "per-part" LOD, or is it "per-model"

If my model is a collection of small semi-detailed objects spread over a 2,000ft radius circle, how does DCS handle object placement on uneven terrain?

Is there an animation argument that could be used to "clamp" each individual object to the land surface?

The purpose of my project is to avoid having to manually place hundreds (maybe a thousand or more) individual objects - one at a time - in a precise geometric arrangment using the notoriously inaccurate ME. It seems that 3 seconds of work using the Spacing Tool to distribute the objects along a spline would be much easier.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

I eventually got the object into DCS after throwing away many hours of effort. The files and syntax given in the tutorials is wrong, so if you're just starting out, don't use it.

Still, I'm left to wonder if there's any way to force DCS to clamp each object in a particular model to ground level. My model is large, and due to the uneven terrain, some portions float while others sink.

I've tried changing "BY_XZ" to "ONLYHEIGTH", "ADD_HEIGTH", and "BYNORMAL". There are differences between them, but none of them do what I need. Is there another setting?

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

That's why the buildings in DCS (and nearly every simulator) have over run extentions on the bottom that extend the building below ground level, so that in the event they are placed on uneven terrain, the concrete overrun just looks like building foundation and hides the gaps from the uneven terrain. Pretty nifty solution, but if your massive object is a group of a bunch of little objects, it may be useless for that.

What's the object anyway?

Regarding your question about per part LOD, it is possible, you just have to set up the LOD values in the object properties in Max (that's covered in the EDM Wiki).

Model with LODs in the same file

1. Create a Dummy with lod_root flag.
  2. Make LOD mesh.
  3. Attach the LOD mesh to Dummy.
  4. In the User defined properties for the Dummy LOD list the names of the ranges in which these LODs will be visible. LOD ranges may overlap, in this case will be drawn several LOD.
    Example of User defined properties Dummy which hooked with the names of three hunger Lod_01 , Text02 and Text03: TYPE = "lod_root";
    Lod_01 = Vec2 (0.0,100.0); first # - the minimum distance at which LOD would draw, the second - the maximum distance.
    Text02 = vec2 (100.0,200.0);
    Text03 = vec2 (200.0,1000000.0);

Lod_root.jpg

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Are you attempting to make a circular object with a center point to serve as a training target?

If so, I've made a template (which I can upload later tonight) to do just that. I used the bunker object and made a trigger zone of an approximate size to serve as a circular reference and center point. Because of the 99 unit limit for ground unit groups I had to make the circle a little smaller than I wanted it, but despite being a tedious process it works to good effect

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

Pretty nifty solution, but if your massive object is a group of a bunch of little objects, it may be useless for that.

Yeah, I considered doing the same thing but I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary.

What's the object anyway?

It's a target made up of several concentric rings of tires that lay flat on the ground.

Regarding your question about per part LOD...

Awesome, that's what I was looking for. I looked through the wiki, or at least I thought I had, but I didn't see that. Thanks!

Are you attempting to make a circular object with a center point to serve as a training target?

Yes, exactly.

If so, I've made a template (which I can upload later tonight) to do just that.

Thank you for the offer, and I didn't know that there was a 99 unit limit. Thats good to know.

Unfortunately, the object I'm making has about 2000 tires in concentric rings, with the largest ring containing almost 800 tires. Given the limit, it doesn't sound like your template will work for my project.

It must have been a real PITA to lay that out in ME; you have a lot of patience.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could create a object/formation templates in 3ds Max? Just lay out verts wherever you want an object. It would be so much easier than using the ME.

Or, better solution, the ME get's a ground-up overhaul.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Patience is the name of the game, dude! ;)

There's a difference between having patience, and wasting time reinventing the wheel.

In watching the various aircraft development threads, its become obvious that a significant portion of this community feels that it is important to make things as difficult as possible to learn. I wonder if those individuals were handed the keys to their first car and told, "figure it out"?

It's unfortunate that the early adopters had to muddle their way through without an SDK, but that doesn't have to be the precedent for all others who follow.

It turns out that the process of getting a model into DCS is not terribly difficult at all. Unfortunately, what little documentation exists is either in a foreign language, or is outdated and incorrect.

For what it's worth, I'll do my part and make an updated reference document for the new DCS World file format and syntax once I'm done with my project.

Or, better solution, the ME get's a ground-up overhaul.

Yes, there are many aspects of the ME I wish would be improved, not only from the mission creation standpoint, but from a flightplanner standpoint as well.

Perhaps one day they'll take a look at that wishlist thread and get motivated.