Fixed sight

Invisibull

The manual, while detailed on the use of the gyro sight, doesn't have much to say at all about the fixed sight, or strafing ground targets, so i'm left with some questions.

I understand the fixed sight ring is 70 mil meaning that at a range of 1,000ft it will cover a diameter of 70ft. The cross-hair is self-explanatory, but what of the other symbology? There's a dot and 4 other lines that aren't mentioned at all. Also, if I'm going to attack an unarmed convoy of trucks, what range should i be opening fire at, and is there an optimal dive angle for such a strafing run?

Thanks.

Oh, and anyone just starting out with the P-51 and looking for people to fly with online should feel free to get in touch with me.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

My technique for strafing involves low angle, very low altitude and close range before opening fire. Then walk the bullets onto the target. Then remain at low altitude while turning hard to strafe again.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

I don't know what the different symbology on the fixed sight means either - I guess some web research is required - will let you know if i find out - dito if you find out.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this, but I find the most controlled and accurate way to strafe is from about 3-4k ft AGL, in a 30-45 degree dive - I read this somewhere as well - And if you're expecting some return fire... drop the sight a touch below the target until you know you're in range then slowly walk the sight through the target. The enemy gunner has to lead you slightly in this case - a harder shot.

Having said that I then stay very low and if another target should present itself then I do as Jona33 does.

Apparently the best evasion egress (against visually guided enemy guns anyway) is to initially stay very low then quickly break left or right, and then again fairly quickly climb reasonably hard whilst turning in the opposite direction - making a 'S' shaped manoeuvre - (EDIT: 'S' shaped from the gunners point of view - end EDIT) - if performed properly then a gunner trying to predict your path with lead, will need luck to hit you.

Edited by VIMANAMAN