good bye re-center dance or how i added force trim to my joystick

mue

Absolutely brilliant idea! :thumbup:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

• 1 year later...

Hi Mue !

Reviewing thread, wonder if you have further improved it ?

By the way you could reverse the magnet logic to only operate when trimming button is pressed (no more magnet heat problems). Then You could use rubber surface on drawer slide and a spring loaded rubber brake plate system to block movement of drawer slide when magnets are off.

So When triggering trimmer button magnets go on and spring loaded rubber brake is rising up, releasing drawer slide as long trimmer button pressed.

Edited by sungsam

DCS F16C 52+ w JHMCS ! DCS AH64D Longbow !

Hi Mue !

Reviewing thread, wonder if you have further improved it ?

No, I haven't worked further on it.

Actually now I'm using the warthog hotas (with center mounted extended stick). Although now I don't have force trim I like the feeling of the metal grip and the long lever of the extended warthog stick.

By the way you could reverse the magnet logic to only operate when trimming button is pressed (no more magnet heat problems). Then You could use rubber surface on drawer slide and a spring loaded rubber brake plate system to block movement of drawer slide when magnets are off.

So When triggering trimmer button magnets go on and spring loaded rubber brake is rising up, releasing drawer slide as long trimmer button pressed.

The magnet heating is not that big of a problem. I would suggest a simple construction without reversing the magnet clutch logic.

• 9 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm curious how much this mod limitted the deflection of the stick when away from center.

I've been looking into mimicing this mod, and I noticed a 130mm rc shock strut has about 40mm of travel total( 20mm of travel in either direction). I'm using my x56 as reference, and it has about 35mm total deflection(17.5 mm either direction). This means if I pull the stick full deflection and set the trim, I would have 20mm of travel in the opposite direction before i encountered the shock strut's limit. But the stick again has 35mm of total travel, meaning I lose 15mm of travel. I doubt this ever presented a problem, but I was just curious if this was ever noticeable in your use.