I'm so stupid! (Smoothing Tip)

I don't know if anyone has discussed this yet, but I have been having trouble with gun-fighting ever since I re-installed LOMAC after reformatting a couple of months ago. I was having some trouble with my Saitek X-52 (or so I thought) and I wasn't able to get a good shot on anybody in a gun-fight. I would do the F-15C quick-start mission just to practice against the Su-17s and I would shoot one down with a missile, then use the other one for gun practice, and I would sometimes waste my entire load of gun rounds trying unsuccessfully to shoot him down, but I never could, I would usually damage him a bit, but never enough. I would continuously over-roll and pull or push too much and I could never figure out why. I tried everything I could think of, I even bought a new joystick (a Cougar, but I was planning on that sooner or later anyway, just gave me another reason to :D) until just tonight I realized I had never tried to turn the axis smoothing down (which I had set to 100 :mad:), so I turned it down to 50 and tried the mission again and I did 10 times better, but something still didn't seem right, so I set smoothing to 0 and linearized (almost) the roll and pitch curves, and now it is 1,000 times better. I tried the mission again and this time, I shot down the Su-17 in less than 30s of getting close enough to him with quick snapshots and very few wasted rounds.

Prior to this I had done everything I could think of, including turning off temporal anti-aliasing because I had heard it could cause joysticks to be laggy, but nothing had cured what I thought was a laggy joystick. So just a tip, if you feel like your joystick is laggy, or it feels slow, turn smoothing down, I learned the hard way, so I figured I would let you guys know to save anyone with similar problems time. ;)

Stupid thermals...

That's wierd... it comes set at 50 for default doesn't it? ... I remember Precog saying to put it at 100... I suppose that is better for A/G .. along with the super curved axis lines... I'll try making them more linier and killing smoothness all together..

50 is the default. I would watch the stick react in the cockpit and I would throw it to the side, then center it again, and watch how the stick reacted compared to how I moved it, and it seemed to move with the less lag when I had smoothing set to 0. I assume this is because when you do fast, erratic movements (similar to those during combat) the more smooth you have set, the more it tries to smooth your movements out into one motion instead of a bunch of little quick movements. I don't know though, just a personal preference thing I guess.;)

Stupid thermals...

Go to options --> input --> device --> choose your joystick --> under the input/audio/diff/... dial, choose "test" instead of "responses" --> in the bottom right corner, above the "cancel" button is a bar where you can set the "smooth" setting. ;)

EDIT: This is all in LOMAC, not the Cougar Control Panel

Stupid thermals...