Sixense STEM system for head tracking

Has anyone seen the STEM System motion tracker system in development from Sixense? It looks like it would provide a better solution than TrackIR. It's designed to work with the Oculus Rift and motion controllers as well. I think this might be the future of head tracking if the DCS devs decide to support it. At the very least maybe we can get a FreeTrack plugin that support it.

Has anyone seen the STEM System motion tracker system in development from Sixense? It looks like it would provide a better solution than TrackIR. It's designed to work with the Oculus Rift and motion controllers as well. I think this might be the future of head tracking if the DCS devs decide to support it. At the very least maybe we can get a FreeTrack plugin that support it.

If the accuracy is still the same as the old Hydra, then no, it's not good enough for TrackIR style tracking. I've tried FreePie + Hydra using TrackIR emulation: 1:1 tracking is no problem, but we need something like 1:10 ratio if we are not using an VR headset, and Hydra's output is just too damn noisy.

Hydra's output is just too damn noisy.

Hmm, that's a shame then. I've got a Hydra and it seems pretty smooth. I just found out that you can set it up for headtracking with opentrack. I might give it a try this weekend. Maybe with the right sensitivity curves it won't be to bad.

Razer Hydra

I managed to try out using my Razer Hydra with opentrack for head tracking. It rocks. You have to move the base station pretty close, but I put mine right next to my throttle and had no issues with jitter. The input was smoother and more accurate than my freetrack setup. It also has no vulnerability to lighting issues and can track at extreme angles. It is kinda a bummer having the extra cords coming off your head, but honestly it's not that bad. It's not that different from having corded headphones. I think I just found my new head tracking setup.

I stand by my assertion that the STEM system would be superior to TrackIR and FreeTrack. Honestly the Hydra is already a better alternative. Considering the Hydra is half the cost of a TrackIR and can also be used on other games as a motion controller, I recommend people start looking into it.