Some noob questions about navigation in F15C

ozTRipwiRE

Hi,

I have a few noob questions about navigation in the FC3 F15C. The tutorial told me to follow the ‘integrated flight director cross’ (the ‘+’ symbol) on the HUD to be sure I am on the right course. However when I take-off and try to find the correct course in the F15C in the first campaign mission in FC3 (the FAM flight) I can not find the ‘integrated flight director cross’ anywhere. Could anyone please tell me how to get this cross displayed on the HUD? I also tried navigating using the HSI, following the course indication on that instrument and lining the aircraft up with the corresponding heading on it but the distance to the waypoint kept getting further and further away. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks very much for any help,

ozTRipwiRE

Quite simply mate... your flying the wrong way... don't worry its a very easy mistake to make when you first climb into the Eagle.

The + Symbol will only completely show on your HUD when you are in ILS mode and have established yourself on the ILS. The + Symbol gives you your heading and altitude for the the ILS and you simply fly down it with the + Symbol lined up in the HUD as per normal to guide you down.

The vertical line in the symbol + ... '|' represents LNAV and moves left and right, and the horizontal line '-' represents VNAV (what height you should be at). If these two lines meet in the middle and make a '+' symbol you are flying the correct path down the ILS.

In NAV mode it is slightly different. You only get the | Symbol... not the + Symbol.

The Aircraft is now NOT giving you any altitude information it will only give you LNAV (Lateral Navigation). So as long as you have the | symbol straight in the middle of your HUD your going the right way.

Again to reiterate... the Eagle will only give you the + Symbol (displaying LNAV and VNAV) when your in ILS mode... in all other modes all you get is the | part of the + symbol giving you LNAV.

Here is a handy little screen shot of the your HSI, I have circled the bits you want to be looking out for. These show you the correct way to line up your HSI, as I mentioned at the start, your 'probably' flying the wrong way and following the wrong end of the needle on the HSI (which is why your WP is getting further away)

Have a look at the image below and notice the highlighted part of the HSI you'll notice the 'wedge' shape at the correct end (both sides are very similar but there is a difference)...now hop back into your Eagle and zoom right in on your HSI and point the correct end at your WP after you take off ;)

Any more questions fire them up sir!

Good luck

Mav

S!

f15nav.png

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad