Research on Soviet MiG-21 losses during Soviet-Afghan War

Higgs78

Hello all DCS fans,

The purpose of this thread is to seek DCS community support in identifying a suitable person(s) to assist with a research project that relates to a publication I am involved with.

This publication is a historical book that documents Soviet and Russian aircraft losses from 1979 to the present day.

I am specifically finalising research on Soviet Aircraft losses during the Soviet-Afghan war (1979-1989), and am seeking a suitable Russian speaking person to undertake research for us.

We have a particular interest in exploring the circumstances surrounding the 12 November 1985 shooting down (SA-7 manpad) of Major General Vlasov while flying a MiG-21Bis in Afghanistan. We are after any Russian language references, detailed crash report translations, and photographs are welcomed too.

The timely release of DCS MiG-21 Bis (apologies I haven't actually used this software) looks like a great opportunity to leverage this community's insight into this aircraft, noting the relevance to our project.

Should anyone be interested, or might be able to recommend someone, we would be happy to discuss funding any research time.

We were hoping to publish our work late last year, but we made a decision to defer with the ongoing Ukrainian confrontation. This has allowed us to revisit earlier parts of the book in more detail (where appropriate).

My apologies if this post is not made in the correct area. I have registered an account for the sole purpose of seeking this assistance.

Regards,

Adam H

adam.higgins1978@gmail.com

Edited by Higgs78

Welcome to the forums:)

Can I suggest you translate your post to russian with google or Babelfish and post it to the russian section of the forums too.

Best of luck with your endevours :thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Cibit,

Thanks for the response, it's very much appreciated!

I have to admit, I considered doing that, but wasn't sure how the translation would go, or (more importantly) where to make a new thread in the Russian forum (it was hard enough finding the right English forum thread!).

If anyone can recommend a particular thread, I'm certainly happy to drop in an internet translated copy of my first post.

Thanks. Adam.

You can get a free account signing up here: http://www.acig.info/CMS/

It's the Air Combat Information Group, they have tons of research info for you to look into about aircraft losses and other subjects related to air combat.

Once you make an account, you can search the "Database" on the left side of the page to go to different regions for research. You can also contact the site owner, he's a publisher as well and very helpful in guiding you toward the info you want if your having trouble.

Edited by Invader ZIM