First Impressions with the Steam Controller (SU-25T A-G)

So, went crazy experimental and pre-order the Steam Controller and now after day I thought to try it with DCSWorld 1.5 beta. I tried it first with latest 1.2 but because it does run two different executables (one for client, editor and one for SP/MP) so it doesn't work so well with Steam Big Picture mode (requirement to configure device) as it doesn't detct when then executable is started/halted. So I thought OK, beta has the unified executable so I use it.

And here is the second flight with it.

Only requirements were to adjust the Shkval curves in Y(?) axis from 100 to 50 to get more accurate touchpad control for it, so when touching accidentally edge it doesn't pull Shkval targeting gate at max speed to one direction.

Otherwise it was very nice impression for it, definitely requires learning as the idea to be able fly aircraft by pitching and rolling Controller (it has a 2-axis gyro) is awesome, but if not focusing things, you just forget to do one thing while doing a another. So in this case HOTAS + Pedals + TrackIR are way easier as you don't forget to pull aircraft up when you look left and adjust plane to level from roll ;-)

Didn't have any multipliers (shifts in Steam Controller) as didn't have a time to think how to bind those. But those who like to fly DCS in some level with a joypads, Steam Controller is the best thing now.

I had previously tried XBox 360 Controller out of curiosity and didn't really like it because the analog sticks just were something not-so-good without heavy speed limitations.

But having a two touchpads, five buttons under both, a analog stick with a button, two linear triggers and both having a button in full-pull (You can get a A-10 cannon two-phase trigger working!), a center gyroscope (used here for flight stick, Always-On without requiring to keep button pressed or finger on touchpad) and common 4 buttons (ABXY), two bumbers (LB/RB) and of course innovative grip buttons (two under fingers under the palm grips), and the two buttons on both sides of Steam Button.

The current only limitation currently is that the device can have only emulating everything that keyboard+mouse+xbox360 can together. So no n+1 amount more axis that is slight limitations as you get only a three 2-axis (left stick, right stick and mouse) and then two trigger axis. Hopefully one day they add a virtual joystick as one emulation as the device allows to shift any button or axis to a another one. There are double and triple click bindings and possibility touchpads to send different inputs is your finger outside or inside of configured zone.

The flying really was something far better than I had thought. So my expectations were on same level as with Xbox 360 and I was happily enjoying flying far more than previously. I even liked it more than flying with a normal joystick (example old Saitek cyborg) and keyboard combo. It doesn't replace HOTAS (like my G940) but it comes very close as experience. So the controller would work very well for those who travel a lot and can't take their HOTAS with them.

The flight in the video is my second with it.

I am fairly proud to myself I managed to pull it so easily that I had fun and actually forgot the controller.

I have only the very basic controls so not even airspeed break (really missed that one) and pedals were on buttons (grip buttons) and the analog ministick was not in use.

Oh, and of course using a low resolution Full-HD television from 2m distance was not so good choice as I barely could read out the HUD pitch angles or see where the target was behind HUD targeting ring. Great work ED by making Full HD resolution so usable from that viewing distance!

Now needed to train myself with the controller and find a better bindings by using shifts (multipliers) so I can upload it to Steam Cloud.

So until I get back home to G940, TrackIR and 4K, this is best that I found to be there!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

my gamepad works better with extensions ! I'm a genius ! :joystick::doh:

genius-launches-maxfire-grandias-12v-gamepad-20070611053210116-000.jpg

Su34 & F111 a dream fullfilled in fsx...[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 5600, 1050ti, 16 GVram, win10 , TM W hotas&rudder, waiting for 1060/1070 price fall or a new gpu family..f*&9 miners :)

Sure, but the Steam Controller is way more accurate and sharper than even those extensions on other joypads. It was big surprise to me.

Sure, but the Steam Controller is way more accurate and sharper than even those extensions on other joypads. It was big surprise to me.

It was just a joke to compare my current setup with your steam controller. Sincerelly I was eyeballing it since the annoucement, looks like fun to play with it if you dont want to carry big setups . Still negociating what hotas to buy.... not Thrustmaster Worthog anyway

i5 5600, 1050ti, 16 GVram, win10 , TM W hotas&rudder, waiting for 1060/1070 price fall or a new gpu family..f*&9 miners :)

It was just a joke to compare my current setup with your steam controller. Sincerelly I was eyeballing it since the annoucement, looks like fun to play with it if you dont want to carry big setups . Still negociating what hotas to buy.... not Thrustmaster Worthog anyway

Ah :thumbup:

But I seriously enjoy about using the joypad only now. I think I could even get KA-50 working with it very well. The Su-25 planes and Hawk and partially even a Mig-21 goes nicely. Haven't even thought about Su-27 as it probably makes as well nicely with it.

But with HOTAS (I use G940) it is still different class but that Gyro was something unexpected with the touchpads accuracy.

It requires timemto configure more of course, but main problem is still limited to keyboard+mouse+,joypad configs. Once (hopefully) Valve adds a few virtual Joystick axis, it will change everything!

It just there would be nice 12-13" notebook that can run DCS fine :music_whistling:

Could be a very good option for backseat/gunner as well, once ED give us multiseat, for friends who aren't interested in buying a full HOTAS and pedals set.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Could be a very good option for backseat/gunner as well, once ED give us multiseat, for friends who aren't interested in buying a full HOTAS and pedals set.

Didn't think about that!

As the Steam Controller Gyro makes it excellent to hold and "experience" example coming Mi-24P gunner controls.

I have been considering buying the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System as it costs just 130€ and it would be awesome for tank simulators and as well for a gunner simulator.

Attach it to side bench or front bench and that's it.

But now the gyro in Steam Controller could probably "replace that".

Now I need to find time to try Steam Controller as Tunguska controller in DCS :P

my money is one these - available in November or December 2015

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104154

Yea, a lot of nice things on the net, too bad the full awesome package is not available for now at a common sense price/quality .

I'll endup with CH suite, fighterstick, throttle pro, pedals, supports easy customization.

Maybe in the future with the new sims getting more adepts the market will focus on peripherals too.