RSBN Radial Interception [HELP]

BadHabit

I usually was able to follow routes based on radial interception with the flight director easily. Used the thin 3k needle for outbound RI and the thick double for inbound (there was a confusion once with which points where) now I can't intercept any radial with RSBN and Flight Director if the Radial in interest is more than 5-10 degreess off the RSBN needle. The director is functional only in the range off the alligment needle (middle section KPP instr; forgot the name;)

as shown in the 3D instrument panel. Beyond that the director is not responding. Tested numerus times as I fly my campaign or simple missions (tested also with the both ends of the needle, just in case).

I need help us I have to intercept radials manually and kneeboard position is such a cheat if you want to fly no GPS time misisons..

Is something that I missed changed or I am doin something wrong here..?

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

Realistically the bank needle is only supposed to deflect when in command (and auto?) PRMG approach mode. In every other mode (such as RSBN navigation) it's supposed to sit as a dumb unpowered + sign on the gauge.

How it's supposed to work aside it does deflect in NAVIG mode in DCS and information can be extracted from it. Provided that your needles are aligned within +-90 of the correct direction (long hollow box of course closer to long needle to station and short hollow box close to circle away from station) then the roll director needle with go erect on certain intercepts.

If the needle-course angular difference is 20 degrees or more it will direct a heading for a perpendicular intercept. Within 20 degrees this intercept jumps to a 60 degree intercept. As the needle-course alignment decreases smoothly the intercept angle will also smoothly decrease. When the needle-course aligns to 10 degrees the intercept is reduced to 30 degrees. And this continues until no alignment error is an intercept of 0.

If your needle-course is beyond +-90 degrees then the intercept which erects the director is on the wrong side and the director-correct indication leads you further off course.

All in all it's difficult to use and nonsense compared to real avionics. You're better off ignoring the roll director during RSBN navigation as a real pilot would (as his would always show straight up).

The lateral deviation bar (top of ADI) however works properly and should be used instead.

You saying that the flight director should not work? I dont get it.

With less confusing words :-P

I would select an RSBN station and fly within its range. Then I would (related with my planed course) start to intercept predifined radials to reach fixed points. The flight director would show me direction of turn and guide me to an offset of the radial in interest, then guide me on course once no more deviation is required..this is my past experience. Requirements where to know your station and general course, so the FD doesn't confuse you. Now its only working when the needles are almost aligned. Or i am doing things wrong or i was doin things right in accident before...

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Edited by BadHabit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

Today it worked flawlessly. What can I say :-) also noticed RSBN failures in campaign missions from nowhere..

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

Yes I'm saying the roll and bank flight director needles should not do anything but sit dumb as a cross in the middle of the instrument except when in landing direction mode. For navigation flight they do nothing on the real airplane.

DCS module behavior is not the same as real behavior.

Well I guess that is good news for us virtual pilots. I guess rl pilots would have other assets like GCI or constant ATC help. We also luck equipment like Lazur etc..anyway thanx for your respond. Seems like a random small bug in the sim that disables it like the RSBN failures I experience some times.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

Well I guess that is good news for us virtual pilots. I guess rl pilots would have other assets like GCI or constant ATC help. We also luck equipment like Lazur etc..anyway thanx for your respond. Seems like a random small bug in the sim that disables it like the RSBN failures I experience some times.

You don't realy need that needle (which shouldn't move in navigation mode anyway as Frederf said) :D. Intercepting the radial is easy once you understand what the HSI (NPP) is telling you - your position in relation to the beacon and desired track or radial.